EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How to use SecureBox Units with Lazaurs and Freepascal

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 03/02/2015 12:27:59
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

We have customers using SecureBlackbox with FreePascal on Linux and even MacOS X, so I am sure that it is fully usable for production purposes on those platforms. I don't know and I can't say why your compiler fails to find the units which are provided. Since this is a third-party open-source tool, we can't address its glitches.

I have just read your Windows test. I'll do the same that you do and will let you know the outcome. Maybe there's something obvious that we are both missing.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/02/2015 14:53:05

I've done a small test on Windows.

I've installed the evaluation version for FPC from the site to "D:\Program Files\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.VCL".

Then I've started Lazarus 1.2.6 and created new project. I've added "SBSimpleSFTP" to uses clause and declared a variable "SFTP : TElSimpleSFTPClient".

Next I've opened project options dialog and added the path "D:\Program Files\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.VCL" (*without* quotes!) to Compile Options->Path->Libraries edit box and also to Compile Options->Path->Other Unit Paths edit box.

I have compiled the project successfully after doing this.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/02/2015 17:12:54
by T SMITH (Standard support level)

Well this is enough to drive a man to madness.

I repeated your steps, exactly as stated (and thanks for doing so so clearly) and I still get exactly the same issue.

The one thing I wasn't doing before until you suggested it was "...also to Compile Options->Path->Other Unit Paths edit box." I hadn't been doing that so I hoped this was the answer. But not - still a no go.

So I must have something wrong with my installation of either Lazarus or the Eldos system. I'm not sure it is Lazarus because I;ve used it on this system for a couple of years with no issue so I must have to tell it to use Eldos in some way I am not familiar.

The only thing I can think is your mention of "'ve installed the evaluation version for FPC..." . I take it there is not a different installation? The term evaluation simply refers to the same download but obviously once you buy a license it becomes fully functional etc? There isn't a different download link I should be using, is there? The one I used was 'VCL edition', SecureBlackbox for FreePascal / Windows - Version 12.0.266 (41155 Kb) . Released on 03 February 2015, from https://www.eldos.com/sbb/download-release.php#product.

On a seperate note, do you know if it possible to "speed up" the release of the Lazarus packages, for Windows at least? Because I suspect that with a valid package file for Lazarus, I will be in business. And once I can verify that the connections I need can be successfully estbalished and that I can get them to work with my other intended functionality, I am highly likely to buy a single developer license. As it stands, my entire program rests on the ability to FTP properly, and if I can't get it to do that, then there is no point me continuing with the idea.

I thank you a lot for taking the time to help me, regardless of whether I ever manage to work this issue out!
Posted: 03/03/2015 01:26:42

For a moment or so I thought that I knew the source of the problem: Lazarus comes with its own build of FPC . For Delphi this would make the DCUs unusable. Turns out, however, that for FPC this is not a problem and I was able to use the unit compiled with "stock" FPC in FPC-from-Lazarus. So I still don't know what can be a problem in your system.

T SMITH wrote:
The only thing I can think is your mention of "'ve installed the evaluation version for FPC..." . I take it there is not a different installation?

I've taken the same file that you did, the evaluation for FPC/Win32 from https://www.eldos.com/sbb/download-release.php .

T SMITH wrote:
The term evaluation simply refers to the same download but obviously once you buy a license it becomes fully functional etc? There isn't a different download link I should be using, is there?

There exist two ways to use SecureBlackbox:
1) take the evaluation version from the download page and then "activate" it with the production license key, which is issued to you upon the license purchase. This gives you only the binaries (like you have today).
2) upon the license purchase you get access to the source code which you can download as a separate ZIP archive. You can compile the units yourself to a library and/or install them as packages to Lazarus or just add them as a part of your project.

T SMITH wrote:
On a seperate note, do you know if it possible to "speed up" the release of the Lazarus packages, for Windows at least?

Given that you are the second person to ask about Lazarus packages, I think there's a little chance that they will be provided.

Packages are mainly for design-time. The compiler itself doesn't care about them, so even with packages installed you'll have the same compilation problem.

Also you can simply create a new package in Lazarus and add all precompiled units into this one package, then install the package to the IDE.

A final note - SFTP and FTP are two different protocols. We've been discussing SFTP components above, and for FTP you need TElSimpleFTPSClient class/component and SBSimpleFTPS unit.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/03/2015 02:47:59
by T SMITH (Standard support level)

Later last night I did indeed get beyond the missing units issue. I added both the top level folder AND the units folder to the other units entry in project options and it then found the units. Hooray! Not sure why it didn't work with just the root path but never mind. So on that matter I think the post can be marked as resolved. Thanks for your help.

On a seperate note, when I opened the sftp demo it got stuck half way through compiling due to sftp.deletefileutf8 say it was unidentified. I wonder if this is because, as you say, it isn't activated and the demo codes require activation to use. Also, if I type "sftp." Additional procedures do not pop up as they usually would for classes. So I suspect this too is due to activation. I note the instructions 're activation in the supplied text file. I will try again when I get home and raise a seperate thread if needed.
Posted: 03/03/2015 02:59:51

Great, thank you for letting us know about the resolution. This will surely help others if they have the same problem.

As for DeleteFileUTF8 - Are you sure that it's our sample? I searched through our samples AND through our source code for such method name and didn't find anything.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1460 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!