EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SMTP through gmail

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 01/27/2015 08:10:00
by Stephane Grobety (Priority Standard support level)

Hello,

I have a rather urgent issue that popped up today. It looks like one of our customer is using gmail for sending mail and our SMTP module does not work any more with them.

The heart of the issue is that google has, apparently, decided to deprecate almost all SASL authentication mechanism save for their (mostly) proprietary XOAUTH2 system: every other supported SASL mechanism requires the user to manually enable access for "less secure apps".

Unfortunately, that setting is, as far as I could tell, not available to commercial gmail accounts (google apps).

As a result, the Eldos SMTP client is now failing to work with gmail in general.

I am working with my customer to find a workaround for them but I would like to implement XOAUTH2 (which seems to be OPENID20 with a different name) in the future to restore full gmail compatibility.

So:

- Can SASL (generally speaking, not specifically OAUTH2) be implemented with TElSMTPClient ? Is there a sample that describes this ? (if not, I'll stick to the Indy SMTP client).
- Is there a sample showing how to use the TOAuth2Authenticator component (and associated) ?

I'm using Delphi XE5 and SBB 12.0.262

Thanks in advance
Posted: 01/27/2015 08:49:40
by Alexander Ionov (EldoS Corp.)

Stephane Grobety wrote:
- Can SASL (generally speaking, not specifically OAUTH2) be implemented with TElSMTPClient ? Is there a sample that describes this ? (if not, I'll stick to the Indy SMTP client).

The TElSMTPClient component does support SASL. I'm afraid there is no sample which shows how use this. And moreover there is no sample which shows how to create a custom SASL mechanism class.

Stephane Grobety wrote:
- Is there a sample showing how to use the TOAuth2Authenticator component (and associated) ?

There is a sample that shows how to use OAuth2 authentication in the TElHTTPSClient component. But in order to have your task done, you need to use TElOAuth2Client class (this class is used internally in TElHTTPSClient), I guess. And for this class there is no sample available.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Ionov

Statistics

Topic viewed 639 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!