EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

C# sample for Client/Server chat does not seem to work

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 01/15/2015 14:57:33
by Perry Vo (Priority Standard support level)

I am currently evaluating Secure Blackbox as a possibility for a project. I was trying to create a simple SSL socket client between .NET 3.5 platform to desktop running Windows 7. However, at this point in time, I am still exploring how the API works.

I tried running the sample/C#/SSLBlackbox/Server/Chat/Server and Client executables (straight from installation, no modification), and got the following error:

SSL protocol error 75782, which is ERROR_SSL_HANDSHAKE_FAILURE. I was expecting the samples to work straight out of the box. The readme does not mention any other changes for the samples to work.

Can you help identify the issue?
Thanks.
Posted: 01/16/2015 03:12:30
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Let's continue in HelpDesk ( https://www.eldos.com/helpdesk/ ) please. I have created a new support ticket based on your above message. You will see your (and only your) support tickets by following this URL. You will also get e-mail notifications about updates related to your support ticket.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/16/2015 03:14:04
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Hi Perry,

Thank you for contacting us.

I've just checked the samples myself and a connection between the client and server was established just fine. Could you please

1) Let us know the exact version of SecureBlackbox you are evaluating (including the build number),

2) Check if there are any certificates shown in the 'Select Certificates' window of the server-side sample?

Cheers,

Ken
Posted: 01/16/2015 10:09:40

Dear Ken,

I downloaded the latest SecureBBoxNet from the website. I believe the version is 12.0.265 (01/06/2015).

After installation, I use Visual Studio 2013 to compile the following samples:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET\Samples\C#\SSLBlackbox\Desktop\Server\Chat\Server

and

C:\Users\Public\Documents\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET\Samples\C#\SSLBlackbox\Desktop\Server\Chat\Client

I updated the license then compile. I launched server first, click "Listen", then launch client and connect. The enclosed picture illustrate the error:

SSL protocol error 75782Connection closed - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Connection closed - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Beside the license, I didn't change anything else. Should the samples work?

Thank you.

Posted: 01/16/2015 10:14:31
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

2) Check if there are any certificates shown in the 'Select Certificates' window of the server-side sample?

And what about this?
Posted: 01/16/2015 10:22:03

There is no certificate shown in the "Select Certificates" window.

when trying to add a sample certificate (part of SecureBBoxNet installation), I got the enclosed error...

Posted: 01/16/2015 11:18:29
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

There is no certificate shown in the "Select Certificates" window.

You should choose some server side certificate to make SSL/TLS work. Please try to do this.
Posted: 01/16/2015 12:25:21

when trying to add a sample certificate (part of SecureBBoxNet installation), I got the enclosed error...

This is a permission error. The sample application apparently does not have access to the Program Files folder on your machine (which is normal for non-administrative accounts). Please copy the certificate file to some publicly accessible place and try to load it from there.

It is weird though that the server sample failed to load the default certificate set from the CertStorageDef.ucs file shipped with the sample. But still, please try to load the sample certificate from a different location and check if it helps.

Ken
Posted: 01/16/2015 13:33:15

Hi Ken,

I manually copy the certificate file into the same directory with the server executable then it works now. Maybe the readme for the demo needs to be updated to make sure certificate is in place and present in the "select certificate" folder for the demo to work properly.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.
Posted: 01/16/2015 13:52:40

Hi Perry,

Great, thank you for keeping us updated.

I guess we've found the reason why the sample doesn't work for you out of the box. The sample server certificate file (CertStorageDef.ucs) that is supposed to be picked automatically by the sample didn't get to the distribution due to a build issue; that's why the sample didn't have any certificates listed by default. We've fixed the build scripts, so the problem should go away in the future SecureBlackbox update.

Thank you for pointing us at the problem and sorry for the inconvenience.

Ken
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1803 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!