EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

OpenPGP: How to get the IDs of encryption keys before attempting decry

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 12/01/2014 02:43:38
by Stephane Grobety (Priority Standard support level)

Hello,

I'm attempting to improve one part of my software that deals with openPGP-encrypted files.

One element that needs improvement is the feedback given to the user when the software fails to decrypt a file. Currently, the only feedback given is "Decryption failed (no key found). I would like to expend and that and give the list of IDs of key that could be used for decryption in order to help with key management).

So my questions are the following:

- Am I right to assume that the Key ID is the only thing that can be obtained from an encrypted PGP file (not key fingerprint)
- How can I get a list of keys that have been used for encrypting a file (if possible, before attempting decryption but an after-the-fact list should do).

I'm using SBB 12 with Delphi XE5

Thanks
Posted: 12/01/2014 03:15:01
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

- Am I right to assume that the Key ID is the only thing that can be obtained from an encrypted PGP file (not key fingerprint)

Yes you are right.

- How can I get a list of keys that have been used for encrypting a file (if possible, before attempting decryption but an after-the-fact list should do).

You can retrieve the list using TElPGPReader.OnEncrypted event, but during attempt ot decrypt a file.

Statistics

Topic viewed 281 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!