EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

GetFileList returned TElFTPFileInfo.FileDate adds a year to server dat

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 08/26/2014 15:16:03
by Ganapathi ekambaram (Standard support level)

Below code returns datetime year value one year ahead of server filedate for oldest files in FTP server directory, datetime on server does not change but SecureClientBlack adds one year to actual filedate for oldest file on the folder n random basis , please let me know if you come across such a issue

ArrayList arrListOfFiles = new ArrayList();
Client.GetFileList(fileParam, arrListOfFiles);
            if (arrListOfFiles.Count > 0)
                for (int i = 0; i < arrListOfFiles.Count; i++)
                    SBSimpleFTPS.TElFTPFileInfo telFtpFile = (SBSimpleFTPS.TElFTPFileInfo)arrListOfFiles[i];
                    //ftpFile.FileDir = telFtpFile.Name.Substring(0, telFtpFile.Name.LastIndexOf("//"));
                    ftpFile.FileName = telFtpFile.Name;
                    ftpFile.FileSize = telFtpFile.Size;
                    ftpFile.FileTimeStamp = telFtpFile.FileDate;

Posted: 08/26/2014 15:22:44
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

FTP has no predefined listing format. Many servers use Unix listing format, but as it's not standardized also, there can be certain problems. In particular, there's a common rule to omit year but write time instead for files which are less than X old. And here the problem happens - on some Unix/Linux systems this X is 183 days before and 182 days after today (variant A), while for other systems this X is 365 days before today (variant B). Our code assumes the remote system is Linux (as more popular) and Linux uses variant A. If your server uses variant B, then files created 183 < T < 365 days ago will have the year incorrect.

The solutions are (a) use MLSD command if it's supported by the server, and (b) manually adjust a year if it's in future but less than 183 days in future.

On a side note please use CODE button to mark the beginning and the end of the code block in your messages.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/26/2014 15:52:17
by Ganapathi ekambaram (Standard support level)

Thank you very much for your reply...

For option b
b)Manually adjust a year if it's in future but less than 183 days in future.

Can you post or send an email of logic to handle all OS types and all variants for production level code...
Posted: 08/26/2014 16:03:03
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

This is not possible. If you re-read what I wrote above, FTP doesn't have a standard format for FTP listings. The extension of FTP specification for a standard format is MLSD command and you should use it if this command is supported by the server. Otherwise there can be no universal solution.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 415 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!