EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Ftp IO modelled as File IO?

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 05/12/2006 12:41:49
by Josh Buedel (Basic support level)

Can I use the regular Ftp components to create a remote file and then stream data to that file until I close it? This would be a model that is more akin to local file IO.
Psuedo code:
Code
FtpBlackBox ftp = new FtpBlackBox("server","user","password");
string file_on_server = "/DIR/MyTestFile.txt";
using(Stream s =ftp.CreateRemoteStream(file_on_server))
{
s.Write(stuffs);
}

As far as I can tell it seems that the API is set up such that I have to prepare the stream, and then pass it to the Send() method.
Thanks,
Josh
Posted: 05/12/2006 13:09:10
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

At the moment there's no such functionality and I can't say if we implement it in SecureBlackbox 5.0. All in all, FTP is not a local file system, and it can't be easily used as such (at the contrary, SFTP was designed as such and can be used this way with minimal changes).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/15/2006 14:57:46
by Josh Buedel (Basic support level)

Does the SFTP package do plain ftp?

I just want to do stream based processing and then ship that data to the server as soon as it's ready. This current implementation requires me to either 1) do all my stream processing BEFORE I begin the transfer, which means I either need to hold it all in memory or write it to disk. Or 2) reimplement my stream processing code to operate in the Read() methods instead of in the Write() methods (pull instead of push). Neither option works very well for me, unfortunately.
Posted: 05/15/2006 15:42:25
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

No, since FTP and SFTP are completely different protocols, SFTPBlackbox doesn't handle FTP.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 5011 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!