EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

sFTP Commands in "raw" format

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 06/16/2014 04:08:15
by ITSG (Standard support level)

Hi there,

we are trying to understand what happens when the sFTP Client send commands to the server.

These are some commands, that the FileZilla Client knows:
CD, mkdir, put etc.

So when i send a CD Command, is there the plain Text "CD" that reaches the server or is there a Translation in SSH_FXP_OPENDIR(11) ?
This is info that i got from http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-13.txt

Any expierience on that kind of low level protocol commands ?
In my opinion, the client translates the CD to SSH_FXP_OPENDIR and sends its binary code 11.

Possible or complete b...hit ?

Regards
Martin
Posted: 06/16/2014 04:15:11
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

SFTP is a binary protocol, so FileZilla definitely translates textual commands into binary analogs like SSH_FXP_OPENDIR etc.
Posted: 06/16/2014 04:15:39
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

1) SFTP is written exactly like this, not sFTP, because it's not related to FTP in any way. It's a protocol for accessing remote filesystems.

2) SFTP is a binary protocol which has no text commands. Filezilla doesn't know any commands. Moreover, SFTP doesn't have commands like CD or PUT - these are FTP commands only and filezilla kind of emulates them.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 666 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!