EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Signing using Authenticatecode demo

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 05/29/2014 16:55:24
by Leonardo Herrera (Standard support level)

I want to sign an executable file using the provided Authenticode demo, but I got an error stating "At least one of the selected certificates should have the corresponding private key."

I got a code signing certificate from Symantec. The process consisted on creating a certificate signing request (CSR) and, after the verification process, they replied back with a certificate file.

I imported this certificate but it doesn't contain the private key (which is in the CSR) and now I'm completely lost.

Do anybody have experience using Symantec (Verisign) Code Signing Certificates?
Posted: 05/29/2014 23:27:00
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

When you request the certificate from the CA, you generate a CSR and a private key. The private key is NOT contained in the CSR. Instead you are prompted to store it in your browser or export it to the file. So the key is where you've placed it. If you have stored the key in the browser, you need to go to CA site with that browser and retrieve the generated certificate. The key should be then linked to the certificate in the browser and you will be able to export it from the browser.

I can't give you more detailed instructions cause this procedure is not related to our products in any way.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/07/2014 12:19:35
by Leonardo Herrera (Standard support level)

Thank you. Effectively, using Symantec website I was able to retrieve my certificate using my stored CSR (actually, I had to recreate it, but they provide this interface as part of the enrollment process.)

I'm now releasing my software digitally signed, using the authenticode demo you provided (I only added the option to get the certificate from the Windows storage, which was really easy - only imported the unit from the Simple Signer demo!)

Really happy with your product, guys.

Leonardo Herrera

Topic viewed 568 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!