EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Verifying signature generated by OpenSSL

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 04/23/2007 11:52:41
by Christophe Danheux (Basic support level)

I am trying to verify a signature generated by the OpenSSL function openssl_sign. Within OpenSSL, using openssl_verify validates the signature. In SecureBlackBox, I tried using TElX509Certificate Verify method, with various parameters, but to no avail. If I generate the signature within SBB, I can validate it too, but then I can't verify it in OpenSSL. At this point, I am thinking that TElX509Certificate.Sign/Verify methods are not the equivalent of openssl_sign/verify, but then I can't figure out how to proceed from there.

OpenSSL is version 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006, and SBB is version

Thanks already!

PS: Here is what the OpenSSL documentation says about openssl_sign:

bool openssl_sign ( string $data, string &$signature, mixed $priv_key_id [, int $signature_alg] )

Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. If successful the signature is returned in signature.

openssl_sign() computes a signature for the specified data by using SHA1 for hashing followed by encryption using the private key associated with priv_key_id. Note that the data itself is not encrypted.

Note: Optional 4th parameter signature_alg was added in version 5.0.0. Its default value is OPENSSL_ALGO_SHA1. For more information see the list of Signature Algorithms.
Posted: 04/24/2007 02:28:52
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Please take a look at the SignDetached and VerifyDetached demo applications (SBB\Samples\...\PKIBlackbox\Primitives\). Signatures created/processed by these demo applications are compatible with the ones generated by OpenSSL.
Posted: 04/24/2007 12:25:16
by Christophe Danheux (Basic support level)

Thank you very much. It's working!

Topic viewed 2595 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!