EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Certificate doesn't contain a private key

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 03/04/2014 16:21:25
by Dolko Brigec (Basic support level)

I have some strange situation. I have 2 test server. In one I can sign XML without any problem. I have import the some certificat to second server, but in this server I get error:

if (!Cert.PrivateKeyExists)
                        throw new Exception("Certificate doesn't contain a private key")

I serach certificate in bouth case in "MY" Cryptostore. I have try to import the some exportet certificate in some other computer and I't works.

Why in this case don't found private key?

Posted: 03/05/2014 02:18:38
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Hello Dolko,

Please use MMC (the Certificates snap-in) to check whether the certificate in problem actually does contain the private key. If it doesn't, please re-check that the certificate was imported (and exported before that) with the corresponding private key in file. Note that you must use PFX format to copy certificates from one machine to another, as the rest of formats supported by Windows (cer, p7b) only can contain public certificates, not their private keys.

Topic viewed 329 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!