EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Licensing question (Vendor vs Web)

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 04/10/2007 16:23:56
by Pascal Jolin (Standard support level)

Hello, I am about to order a license for SecureBlackbox, however I want to be certain I'll be ordering the right one between Vendor and Web Server license.

I will be using the license in the context of a large corporate application that also presents some web interfaces for users. We will mainly use it to encrypt data extractions prior to making it available on an FTP server, but we're also considering using it inside the web application in the following 2 scenarios:

1. We'd like to allow users to upload encrypted data files, and have the server decrypt them before using them

2. When users export information from the application, we'd also like to encrypt the data bafore sending it out.

Now, I'm referring to the definition of a web service in the licensing area of your web site:

"6. Web Services - software products or services which are developed and/or deployed by the Licensee, run on publicly-accessible Internet servers and whose primary function is to expose functionality of The Software to third-parties on a paid basis."

It seems that this does not cover our case, since:

- Those servers are not available to the public
- Encryption is not a primary function of the service

However I'd like to have a confirmation from you that a Company version of the Vendor license (the US$3800 one) does grant us the right to do what I'm describing above.

Thank you.
Posted: 04/11/2007 02:27:16
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Encryption seems to be an essential part of the planned scenarios (not of the currently existing one).

However, it's not clear from the description, who's the user of the web application. If this is some third-party (other company or the individual, who is the client of your company) then this is a "public" and you would need a web server license. If the users are employees or branches of your company, then it's not public. In the latter case Vendor license covers your needs.

I hope the description is clear. If no, please let me know.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 1660 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!