EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Version 11.0.243 from 30th December crashes Visual Studio

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 01/07/2014 10:04:20
by Dragan Juric (Basic support level)

Hello,

I installed this version to try and see if it fixed a problem I had with the previous one. Unfortunately, immediately afterwards, Visual Studio started crashing on startup.

So, to fins out if it's SecureBlackBox or something else, I uninstalled the VS, reinstalled it - VS 2012 on Windows 8.1 64-bit - installed the latest update for VS from MS (Update 4), installed Windows Phone SDK and updates for it.
I did not install anything else, no third party libraries or add-ons of any kind. Visual Studio starts correctly.

Then I install SecureBlackBox from Dec 30th.
Visual Studio starts and crashes. Note that it did not have any open solutions.

I uninstall SecureBlackBox.
Visual Studio now starts correctly.

I install the previous version of SecureBlackBox.
Visual Studio starts correctly.
Posted: 01/07/2014 10:11:16
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Please download the build from the site (we improved the installer) and when installing it unselect integration with Visual Studio IDE.

The problem happens on some computers due to Everwood, third-party module that provides integration with IDE. Unfortunately the problem is not exposed on our side so we can't solve it in any way.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/07/2014 10:19:30

I just tried. In your installer, I came to the part about VS integration, with options for different VS versions. I have only 2012 on this machine, so all other options were disabled.

The option for VS 2012 was enabled, and it cannot be unselected.
I'm clicking and clicking on it, on the check mark, on the name, it doesn't matter - it stays selected.

Cancelled the installation at this point.
Posted: 01/07/2014 10:31:40

Seems to be another quirk of old and dead Wise Installer.

I had to simplify the script in order to remove useful but faulty part and will re-upload the installation to the site within an hour.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/07/2014 11:44:30

I've re-uploaded the installation. Hope it works for you this time.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/07/2014 12:02:52

Ok, I installed it on top of the existing (previous, not from 30th Dec) installation of SecureBlackBox.

The check box for VS integration can now be unselected, so I completed the installation.

The VS now does not crash. However, at the start, it does display a messagebox with "The 'RemObjects Everwood' package did not load correctly" etc etc blah blah, but the VS itself keeps working, and there's even an option to not show that message again, so... I'll test how this version of SBB works :)
Posted: 01/07/2014 12:12:47

Thank you for checking. Looks like its Everwood behaving badly on your system for whatever reason.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/08/2014 14:39:47

FWIW we seem to have found the reason of VS crash and fixed our installer. There was a file missing in the installation, though I don't know why Visual Studio doesn't handle situations with missing files properly and just crashes (doesn't even tell what file was missing).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1323 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!