EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

WebDav open files and security

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 01/05/2014 20:55:51
by Scott Johnson (Basic support level)

I downloaded the sample libraries and was playing around with them. It looks like I can upload and download files with your API but is it possible to open/edit files with your API?

Also, can I safely assume that if I switch the authentication to LDAP the security would also follow? How is security handled with file access and your API? In other words, how can I ensure the user can only open folders and files they have access to?
Posted: 01/06/2014 02:12:46
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for interest in our products.

I downloaded the sample libraries and was playing around with them. It looks like I can upload and download files with your API but is it possible to open/edit files with your API?

Yes its possible. You can check this, for an instance, using MS Word that allows to modify documents via WebDAV.

Also, can I safely assume that if I switch the authentication to LDAP the security would also follow? How is security handled with file access and your API? In other words, how can I ensure the user can only open folders and files they have access to?

TElWebDAVServer is a low level component. You can control everything using its events. It doesn't implement any authentication mechanism. Its your job to implement it. Our sample shows how to implement basic authentication.
Posted: 01/06/2014 08:03:12

So this should work with the WebDAV client and WebDAV server demo?

What user is the backend running as? I'm logged in with my development environment and logged on locally so I assume my user in this test. But if I publish this to a web server, the backend user would be whom? Do I impersonate from there to provide access?
Posted: 01/06/2014 08:19:41
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

So this should work with the WebDAV client and WebDAV server demo?

Yes but the client sample doesn't show how to edit documents.

What user is the backend running as?

The same user as the backend in working under. TElWebDAVServer simply put/gets files from a file system. Its your job to control access rights and implement authentication mechanism.
Posted: 01/19/2014 07:39:55

I've implemented the product demo into my own test code. I'm able to upload and download files a-ok. However, I'm not able to open for edit. What do I need to do to edit files (say opening a .DOC file to MS Word) through WebDAV/Secureblackbox?
Posted: 01/19/2014 07:51:03
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Scott Johnson wrote:
However, I'm not able to open for edit

Please provide detailed description of the problem - code snippets, error codes etc. .

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/19/2014 07:58:06

I don't have any code other than opening and saving files; is that all I need or is there something else I need to do? Does this work off of extension defaults on the client?

Also if I purchase this product I plan on implementing this into a web portal I currently have. In playing around with the server, I assume I'd need to run the server side as a service? Or is it possible to run within an IIS site?
Posted: 01/19/2014 09:23:42
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Scott Johnson wrote:
I don't have any code other than opening and saving files; is that all I need or is there something else I need to do? Does this work off of extension defaults on the client?

Frankly speaking, I don't understand how to answer you. You say that *something* doesn't work and don't provide any details. We don't know what's going on on your side, neither we can even know, what is needed for some third-party software to do what you want. I.e. I don't know even what we are expected to do to answer you.

If you see that something doesn't work, you should see some error message (at least). Can you please
a) provide the error message
b) describe in details all steps you took to get the error message. Also please specify what software and what version of software is used for tests, how you configure it to connect to the server etc.

Scott Johnson wrote:
In playing around with the server, I assume I'd need to run the server side as a service? Or is it possible to run within an IIS site?

There are classes included in SecureBlackbox .NET edition that help you integrate the WebDAV server into IIS. And you have a sample for using them in C# in Samples\C#\WebDAVBlackbox\Server folder.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1599 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!