EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Suitable ApacheFTP equivalent?

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 12/30/2013 12:10:46
by Rob  (Basic support level)

Hi,

I have a requirement to implement a customized FTP (not SFTP) server for windows that doesn't use IIS as it's backbone. I have implemented a java solution using Apache but the other engineers want something written in .net, either c# or vb.

What I need is the equivalent of the Apache FTP server API where I can easily implement a custom FTP server that can execute code based on notifications and events, etc.

Is SecureBlackbox suitable for this and if so, where can I find some examples of this type of usage?

Thanks!
Posted: 12/30/2013 12:18:08
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for your interest in our products.

SecureBlackbox does include FTP server components. Two components are available - TElFTPServer (lower-level component) and TElSimpleFTPServer which is more high-level as it handles sockets and filesystem access itself.

The sample for TElSimpleFTPServer is included with the evaluation package (in \Samples\C#\FTPSBlackbox\Server folder). There's no sample for TElFTPServer as it is expected to be used by experienced developers.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/30/2013 12:23:25

Thanks for the reply.

How close to the functionality of Apache FTP can I get with these components? Am I able to act on events, wrap a GUI around it, etc?
Posted: 12/30/2013 12:30:28

I know nothing about Apache FTP, but if you go TElFTPSServer route, you have everything under your control (it's quite low-level). In that case, though, you need to implement your own socket transport. TElSimpleFTPSClient also has events, but as it does most of the work itself, it's not as flexible as TElFTPSServer.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/30/2013 12:44:03

The name TElSimpleFTPSClient implies that its an FTP client. Is that correct or does it have server functionality as well?

again - thanks for the prompt response.
Posted: 12/30/2013 12:45:31

also - I need non SSH functionality. aka simple ftp. Is that supported?
Posted: 12/30/2013 13:05:17

Rob wrote:
The name TElSimpleFTPSClient implies that its an FTP client. Is that correct or does it have server functionality as well?

That's a typo. I've been talking about TElSimpleFTPSServer of course.

And yes - we have two different server components - for SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) and for FTP/FTPS (the one you are asking about). Above I was talking about FTP/FTPS.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 553 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!