EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Compatibility issues with PGP Corporation

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 12/02/2013 13:05:30
by Matthew Rikard (Priority Standard support level)

There is a client's public key that is giving me trouble. Our old encryption software (PGP Command Line) was encrypting files to send to our client without any issue on the client side. Our OpenPGPBlackbox solution shows no error when encrypting, and the files look to be valid pgp files, but the client is unable to decrypt them.

Here is the code I am using (.net)

Code
TElPGPWriter writer = new TElPGPWriter
            {
                EncryptionType = TSBPGPEncryptionType.etPublicKey,
                EncryptingKeys = GetKeyring(keyLookup), //obtains the one key
                Filename = Path.GetFileName(fileName),
                Protection = TSBPGPProtectionType.ptHigh,
                SignBufferingMethod = TSBPGPSignBufferingMethod.sbmRewind,
                Timestamp = DateTime.Now
            };

if (armor)
            {
                writer.Armor = true;
                writer.ArmorHeaders.Clear();
                writer.ArmorHeaders.Add(Constants.ArmorString);
                writer.ArmorBoundary = "PGP MESSAGE";
            }

string ext = armor ? ".asc" : ".pgp";

writer.EncryptFile(fileName, fileName+ext);

and if it helps, here is the old application’s command line.
pgp --encrypt "E:\testfile.txt" -r "0xEC16D60E" --output "E:\testfile.txt.pgp" --overwrite remove

Can anyone help me to comply with this client's system? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

The details of this key are as follows:

ID: xxxxxxx
User ID: xxxxxxx
Created: 2007-02-09 08:33:28
Expires: Never
Public Key Algorithm: DSA
Use Old Packets: False

Preferred Compression:
1. ZLib
2. ZIP
3. No Compression

Preferred Hash:
1. SHA1
2. RIPEMD160

Subkey
Created: 2007-02-09 08:33:28
Expires: Never
Public Key Algorithm: Elgamal Encrypt Only
Posted: 12/02/2013 13:10:07
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for detailed description which will surely help us in diagnostics. But what is the exact error that the client has? And do you know what exactly software do they use for decryption?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/02/2013 13:22:10

I am unable to get an error message from this client, however based on their ASC key they sent, I was able to determine their PGP software is Cryptix OpenPGP 0.20050418.

I am receiving a similar complaint from one other client which is able to provide me with an error message, but it doesn't seem to be useful. It is attached if it helps you out any

Posted: 12/02/2013 13:34:08

Hmm. The first client's information is not that helpful and unfortunately trial-and-error way is the only one to solve the problem. You will need to check whether Armor property affects the result, then test different values of UseNewFeatures property.

The second client's message is completely mysterious as well but it sounds like a bug of the decryption software. It is possible that changing encryption algorithm can help, but again you need to try different values of those algorithms and also try to disable UseNewFeatures property.

In both cases it's recommended that you upgrade to SecureBlackbox 11 (your license includes lifetime free upgrades and your new license key is in My Control Center, https://www.eldos.com/cc/ ) and test everything with it. While I don't remember any significant issues in version 8, compatibility improvements are made from time to time so testing the latest version is always a good idea.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/02/2013 13:38:10
by Mykola Olshevsky (Basic support level)

Which version of SBB library you used? If it is possible, can you try with the latest one? And if it will not work, try to use other key (probably, RSA/RSA one instead of DSA/ElGamal)?

Btw, Cryptix project is officialy dead since 2005.
Posted: 12/02/2013 14:02:57

I am using version 8.0 of SBB. I will try with the latest version and get back to you, but I am totally dependent upon the client's response, which could take a while.

And yes, I am aware of Cryptix, but cannot change the client's software :)
Posted: 12/02/2013 14:04:12

Well, the clients need to realize as well that if they use buggy and obsolete software, then one day this software will stop working properly.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/05/2013 15:37:52

It was fixed by setting UseOldPackets to true. However, I analyzed the key using SBB and TElPGPPublicKey.Version returns 4.
I did some more searching and realized this is set to 4 for all keys on my keyring.
What does this setting mean then, and is there a way to determine the version by looking at the public key?
Posted: 12/05/2013 23:56:27

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1521 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!