EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

DecryptAndVerify Empty File Error

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 11/26/2013 10:17:18
by Brandon Stalte (Standard support level)

Hi,

I am having a problem attempting to decrypt a file that is empty and has no content. The empty file is signed and encrypted but upon calling DecryptAndVerify or DecryptAndVerifyFile it always results in an exception:

"Unexpected end of data"
at SBPGP.TElPGPReader.Synchronize()
at SBPGP.TElPGPReader.DecryptAndVerify(Stream ASourceStream, Int64 Count)

I am setting the OutputFile property and see the file written to my temporary folder with 0 bytes which is good but it still errors out instead of completing the process and writing the empty file to my destination folder.

I cannot decrypt these empty files with PGPDesktop as well but GPG is able to decrypt the data and displays:

gpg[10000] can't handle this ambiguous signature data
gpg[10000] decryption okay

So GPG is able to decrypt and create the empty resulting file but does warn that it had problems with the signature data.

Is there a way for me to either handle this empty file during decryption to allow it to successfully decrypt? Possibly overriding the verify procedure might enable me to get past this exception if there is a way to to that?

Right now these files are being handled with other production files and it is hard to see if these are real problems or just empty file exceptions. An example is:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: PGPsdk version 1.7.1 © 1997-1999 Network Associates, Inc. and its affiliated companies.
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=xv7s
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

Thanks,
Brandon
Posted: 11/26/2013 10:39:40
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for the report. Moved to helpdesk for investigation.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 1033 times

none

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!