EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

TElSimpleFTPSServer - Host Property using LoadBalancer

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 08/27/2013 07:12:34
by ITSG (Standard support level)

Hello there,

are there any experiences with the TElSimpleFTPSServer class, running a FTP Server behind a Loadbalancer ou there ?

My Problem: We are pulling the Host Property from on central Database, wich holds all the settings for the FTP Server.

So when i use 1 to n FTP Server, they all run on the same Settings, wich is totally what i need until it comes to setting the Host IP.

If i understand correctly, whats written in the Help Docs, the Host Property needs the IP Adress of the Machine where its running on. In our single server environment, tis works perfect.

We now build the multi server environment with 2+ FTP Server behind a LoadBalancer.

Setting up all the FTP Server with the same IP Adress sounds like a complete fail...so i though someone around here already made some experience with using 127.0.0.1 as the host setting or another idea was to use the hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc for mapping the hostname "ftp-server" to the server IP in each machine and using the hostname as the host property...

So, does someone have tips for me ?
Any help appreciated.

Regards
Martin
Posted: 08/27/2013 07:23:59
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You can leave the property empty - it's just where the socket is bound to.

In overall the FTP server behind a firewall is not a very good idea (see below), but we handle it as well. If your server is behind a load balancer or NAT, you need to set PassiveModeAddress property to the address visible from the outside (in your case NAT/balancer address). This way the client will connect to the load balancer rather than to some non-existent local network address.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/27/2013 10:09:33
by ITSG (Standard support level)

Thank You for the ultra-fast reply.
That helps a lot.

Any chance to get the hostname, which was used while connecting ?
Posted: 08/27/2013 10:20:08
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

There's no way to get one simply because the client doesn't send it anywhere. All the client does is resolve the host name, then connect to IP address. In HTTP the host name is passed in Host: header . In FTP there's no similar mechanism available.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 600 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!