EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Enable Active Mode on SBSimpleFTPSServer

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 07/22/2013 16:06:04
by Tom Garrison (Priority Standard support level)

I am currently using the SBSimpleFTPServer .Net version in passive mode. I would like to enable active mode to control the port. Do I need to do anything special to enable active mode and set the port? I'm not seeing examples in the documentation.
Posted: 07/22/2013 16:19:40
by Mykola Olshevsky (Basic support level)

Actually SimpleFTPSServer should support active mode out of the box.
And this doesn't need to set the port since the port for the data connection will be set by client.
Posted: 07/22/2013 16:44:11
by Tom Garrison (Priority Standard support level)

Active works when I run my solution locally, but doesn't seem to work after I deploy the solution. We are currently running as an Azure Cloud Service. Passive works fine, but when I set to Active, I get this:

Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Command okay.
Command: PORT 192,168,1,12,80,109
Response: 200 Command okay.
Command: MLSD
Response: 150 Status okay; about to open data connection.
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing
Posted: 07/23/2013 00:45:34
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Hello Tom,

In fact, the Active mode (that is, server connecting to client) is rarely used in public networks due to a variety of reasons (and it looks like you've come across one of them). The two most popular are a client-side firewall blocking all incoming connections to unknown ports (and as an active mode port is chosen randomly, it is unlikely to be known to the firewall), and 'fake' (internal and not visible from the outside network) IP addresses assigned by some Internet service providers to their clients.

It would be great if you let us know what port and how you would like to control. If it makes sense, the FTPS server component allows you to choose the passive mode port from a pre-defined range - is that what you were actually asking about?

Topic viewed 482 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!