EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Support for Self Decrypting Archives with SecureBlackbox

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 07/22/2013 03:52:01
by Jawad Syed (Basic support level)

Hi Eugene,

I work for a client in Linlithgow, UK. They are interested in implementing document security (encryption and decryption) using secureblackbox, OpenPGP extension provided by ELDOS. We are doing a Proof-of-Concept (PoC) for the same. Using your free downloadable Java extensions, I have managed to encrypt and decrypt strings and simple files. Business is interested in knowing if SecureBlackbox provides support to 'Self Decrypting Archives'. If so, how? I have not been able to get much information from the forums, can you help me with this topic? For your reference, I'm using Oracle Middleware (SOA) to call these Java Extensions.

Appreciate your help and any information possible.

Best Regards,
Jawad
Posted: 07/22/2013 04:01:28
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

SecureBlackbox supports self-extracting OpenPGP archives, however the code for SFX was designed only for Windows. I.e. you can't create self-extracting Java JAR file in the same way as you do with Windows self-extracting EXE.

I think that as JAR files are simple ZIP files, it's possible to put PGP data into the JAR with your classes and those classes will extract PGP data from the JAR and decrypt it. But that's a fair amount of work that needs to be done.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/22/2013 04:04:04
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

SecureBlackbox supports self-decrypting archives creation in VCL and .NET editions. However this feature is not supported in Java edition as there is no executables there. JAR files that are executable files anologue in Java are regular ZIP files. So theoretically so can implement a kind of self-decrypting archives using our ZIPBlackbox package. Just put a data encrypted with OpenPGPBlackbox inside a JAR archive that already contain extraction code. The extraction code should open the JAR and extract and decrypt attached data.
Posted: 07/22/2013 07:28:33

Thanks Both Eugene and Vsevolod for the Quick response.

I shall look into ZIPBlackbox and see how I can simulate a self-decrypting archive (SDA) for JAR file and get back to you guys incase if I face issues or have any more questions.

Good day and best regards,
Jawad
Posted: 07/22/2013 07:33:27
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The general idea is simple:

1) repack SecureBlackbox JARs to single "stub" JAR with only classes needed for OpenPGP extraction. There will be quite a large number of classes, but the task is doable (you can start with just merging together SecureBlackbox.Base.jar and SecureBlackbox.PGP.jar)

2) Use the resulting JAR as a stub. Then add your OpenPGP encrypted data and the Java code that you create to the same JAR. Your runnable Java code will decrypt the OpenPGP data in the JAR thus working as EXE stubs work on Windows.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/24/2013 02:35:06

Hi Eugene,

Many thanks for this solution. I will try and post my findings very soon.

Best Regards,
Jawad
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1299 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!