EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

[FTPS] - Server Certificate

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 02/27/2007 07:47:18
by frederic dominique (Basic support level)

Hello,
I don't really understand the "Client_OnCertificateValidate" method in the sample.

For me, the ftp client have a certificate file of the server and compare with the certificate file receive from the server no ? it's the same it's ok.

where a find some more explication on this ?

thx
Posted: 02/27/2007 08:35:27
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

frederic dominique wrote:
For me, the ftp client have a certificate file of the server and compare with the certificate file receive from the server no ? it's the same it's ok.

where a find some more explication on this ?

This is not that easy. You need to check whether the certificate belongs to that server (using server name), then you need to check whether the certificate has been revoked, also check certificate validity (the certificate is valid only for certain period of time).

You will find detailed information in SecureBlackbox knowledgebase on the site.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/27/2007 09:00:35

:-(
no native method for validation between two certificates
Posted: 02/27/2007 09:20:27

Certificates are not validated by comparing them.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/27/2007 09:53:02

i dont understand the goal of a certificate validate who send by a ftp server, if i don't compare some information valid with a certificate send by the admin of this server.
another question : i dont understand your code in the sample

[code]
If ((Validity Or (SBX509.TSBCertificateValidity.cvOk Or SBX509.TSBCertificateValidity.cvSelfSigned)) = 0) Then
Validity = ElMemoryCertStorage.Validate(Cert, Reason, DateTime.Now)
If ((Validity Or (SBX509.TSBCertificateValidity.cvOk Or SBX509.TSBCertificateValidity.cvSelfSigned)) = 0) Then[code]

because when on my ftps i put a certifcate expired the result is the certificate it's ok ?

Posted: 02/27/2007 10:09:46

i dont understand the goal of a certificate validate who send by a ftp server, if i don't compare some information valid with a certificate send by the admin of this server.

You need to compare the name of the server you connect to with the name, written in the certificate.

i dont understand your code in the sample

I don't understand the question, sorry. Where are you putting the expired certificate?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/27/2007 10:22:21

ok for the first part.

i put a expired certificate on the server, it's send to your sample and it's the same who it's load at the connexion.

Posted: 02/27/2007 10:32:26

Do I understand right that
Validity = ElMemoryCertStorage.Validate(Cert, Reason, DateTime.Now)

returns cvOk?

Is the [expired] certificate self-signed? If the certificate is self-signed, ElMemoryCertStorage.Validate will return cvSelfSigned no matter what the validity period is (this is a bug which will be fixed).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/27/2007 10:39:58

for Validity = ElMemoryCertStorage.Validate(Cert, Reason, DateTime.Now)
Reason = 8
Validity = cvSelfSigned
but for execute this, i step over the condifition

it's a self signed certificat.
Posted: 02/27/2007 11:18:05

Yes, this is the mentioned problem ... The result of date checking gets overriden. We will fix this in the next build.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 8296 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!