EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

TElWinCertStorage on WinRT

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 05/23/2013 03:39:01
by David ErÅ¡il (Standard support level)

I have a bit stupid question.
I have noticed, that SecureBlackBox provides means of using Windows Certificate Store via the TElWinCertStorage class. In classic .Net application this works fine, but in Windows Store Application binaries this class is not available. I KNOW, that (according the documentation) this class "uses Windows CryptoAPI and is available only on Windows and Windows Mobile platforms.", but I would like to know a bit more.

Would you be so kind a tell me briefly, why this is not available to Windows Store Applications? Is this because of sandboxing or some other limitation? I suppose there is no other way to access Windows CertStore from Metro app, am I right?

Thank you for your response.
Posted: 05/23/2013 03:58:30
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Hello David,

The reason for removing TElWinCertStorage from the Windows Store assembly set is that the component uses p/Invoke calls to work with CryptoAPI, what is forbidden for applications distributed through the Windows Store. So, I am afraid there is no way to use this component with SecureBlackbox Windows Store assemblies.

At the same time, the component is available in the WinRT assembly set, which targets the same Metro platform but can only be used by 'trusted' applications that will be distributed by other means and not through the Windows Store. Such applications are subject to less tight requirements than Windows Store ones, so they can use p/invoke and consequently TElWinCertStorage component.

Topic viewed 511 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!