EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Evaluation/Pre sales question - signing docs through asp.net

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 05/10/2013 00:49:25
by Christos Kilitzirakis (Basic support level)

I have the following speofications and I need to know if your product fulfills them.
I have Office (i.e. .docx, xlsx) and adobe documents stored in a sharepoint site (either 2010 or 2013, asp.net 3.5 & 4.0)
The user (with a click of a button in an Web page) should be able to sign these documents using his certificate.
The certificate is stored locally on his PC and it's distributed using MS certificate services and it's roaming (?).

Is this possible? If I download the office docx, will I be able to see (through winword) when it was signed and by whom?

Thank you
Posted: 05/10/2013 01:02:10
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, you should be able to accomplish the task using PDF and Office components of SecureBlackbox + Distributed Cryptography add-on. We have a sample in <SecureBlackbox>\Samples\C#\PDFBlackbox\ASPNet_Distributed folder that shows how to sign PDF files using the client-side certificate. Office documents signing should be accomplished in a similar manner.

Christos Kilitzirakis wrote:
If I download the office docx, will I be able to see (through winword) when it was signed and by whom?

If you sign the data with timestamping it (timestamping is optional step), then later you will be able to see when the document was signed.

"By whom" is identified by the certificates used for signing, i.e. you will be able to see the name to which the certificate was issued, not exactly who signed the document.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 405 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!