EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Key Generation Progress for OpenPGP

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 03/12/2013 13:03:29
by Nicholas Miller (Basic support level)

I am wondering if there is any way to track the key generation progress in OpenPGPBlackBox? For example, lets say I want to create a progress bar, is there some event I can hook into?

Posted: 03/12/2013 13:09:24
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately there's no such event available. The best you can get is use asynchronous key generation (which works in a secondary thread) and implement some gauge in the main thread, but there's no completion percentage available this way. Partially the reason is that the amount of operations to take when creating a key is not defined, and it's hard to estimate and calculate the percentage.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/12/2013 13:14:11

Thanks for the quick reply, is it the same story for file encryption as well?
Posted: 03/12/2013 13:27:47
by Mykola Olshevsky (Basic support level)

Hi. There is an .OnProgress event for ElPGPWriter/ElPGPReader.

Regarding the first question - asymmetric key generation is based on search for pseudo-random primes, and time for this cannot be estimated.
Posted: 03/12/2013 13:43:42

Excellent, thank you very much!
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Topic viewed 378 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!