EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

PDFBlackbox---Adding several signatures at once

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 03/01/2013 03:54:53
by Peter Lidbaum (Basic support level)

Hi EldoS!

Just a short "basic" question---I'm trying to add several signatures to the same PDF document. I had lots of issues with this until I started *saving* the document between each signature, then everything works.

So do I really have to save the document for each signature, is there no way to load the PDF document, add three signatures and then save it just once?

Thanks / All the best,

/Peter
Posted: 03/01/2013 03:57:45
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

I had lots of issues with this until I started *saving* the document between each signature, then everything works.

Could you clarify what exact issues did you get.
Posted: 03/01/2013 04:27:12
by Dmytro Bogatskyy (EldoS Corp.)

So do I really have to save the document for each signature, is there no way to load the PDF document, add three signatures and then save it just once?

In fact, a component saves and reload a document if you add more then one signature at a time.
Please ensure that you are not reusing objects (like TElPDFSignature and TElPDFPublicKeySecurityHandler) for different signatures.
Posted: 03/01/2013 08:51:41
by Peter Lidbaum (Basic support level)

Could you clarify what exact issues did you get.

I had problems with an exception in TElPDFDocument::Close(), but after reexamining the code I found the problem. I had just rearranged the sample code you sent me without much thought/analysis, so I had at the "main" level;

Code
  TElPDFDocument oDoc(NULL);

oDoc.Open(fs);

FAddSignatureToDoc(oDoc, <more params>);
  FAddSignatureToDoc(oDoc, <more params>);

oDoc.Close(true);

and then the FAddSignatureToDoc() function contained direct objects such as

Code
  TElPDFPublicKeySecurityHandler oPublicKeyHandler(NULL);

and:

Code
  TElX509Certificate oCert(NULL);

that are used in TElPDFDocument::Close().

Since they are deleted when they go out of scope when the FAddSignatureToDoc() function returns, I get an exception when Close() tries to use them later on. Allocating these dynamically:

Code
  TElX509Certificate* pCert = new TElX509Certificate(NULL);

solves the problem, but then I'll somehow have to keep track of them to make sure I delete them at the end---after the Close() call---in order to avoid any memory leaks...and then maybe it is easier to just save/load the document several times, especially if that is what happens anyway, "behind the scenes"...

In fact, a component saves and reload a document if you add more then one signature at a time.

Yes, after managing to add several signatures at once I compared the output PDFs in a text editor, and the results are more or less identical when adding several signatures at once and when adding them one-by-one...

Thanks / All the best,

/Peter
Posted: 03/01/2013 12:11:56
by Dmytro Bogatskyy (EldoS Corp.)

I had problems with an exception in TElPDFDocument::Close(), but after reexamining the code I found the problem. I had just rearranged the sample code you sent me without much thought/analysis, so I had at the "main" level;

Yes, signing performed in Document.Close method, so you should free TElPDFPublicKeySecurityHandler and TElMemoryCertStorage objects after calling a Close method.
As for TElX509Certificate object, you can free it after you have added into CertStorage object (Add method copies a certificate into certificate storage).
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1111 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!