EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

VB 2010/ Eldos SFTP library/ Bitvise sftp server, First projet

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 02/23/2013 02:19:49
by Patrick Weaver (Basic support level)

Hello; I have just downloaded the free version of of your sftp client secureblackbox for VB.NET. Following the advice I found at
http://www.eldos.com/sbb/articles/4346.php
, I have installed the Bitvise SFTP server and followed the Bitvise config documentation I found here..
http://www.bitvise.com/configuring-ssh-server-for-sftp
I have looked around and found some sample code on your site but I have been unsuccessful in creating a project with this code in Visual Studio 2010. I am pretty much of a newbie and would like to find a tutorial for setting up a first secureblackbox project in Visual Studio/ VB.net. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Thank you Kindly. Best, Patrick Weaver
Posted: 02/23/2013 02:28:01
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You will find sample projects in <SecureBlackbox>\Samples\VB.NET\SFTPBlackbox\Client folder.

Also, if you have any problems, please describe them in details. "It doesn't work", "I am unsuccessful" contain no information that can be used to solve the problem.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/23/2013 04:05:30

Hello Mr. Mayevski and thank you for your guidance. I followed your advice and opened the sample project SimpleFTPSDemo_VS2010 and running the "Client" I was able to connect to the server after switching to port 22. I have been pushing buttons at random and am either being prompted that command parameters are not set, or, if I enter the command paramaetr "C:\\ AAATest" and push the "Create Dir" button it it seems happy but a glance at local C: does not show the new Dir. I am guessing that maybe it is creating the dir in the bitvise server (?) I also hypothesize that the maybe "command parameters" window wants linux style parameters (??) I am hoping that there is some 'help' or documentation for the sample client app but the 'help' button on the form does not open a window when running in VS/Debug mode. Is there something I can read which will explain the use of this app, the command parameters and the error messages?
Thank you kindly. Best, -Patrick Weaver
Posted: 02/23/2013 04:22:40

1) Don't confuse SFTP with FTPS - these are completely different protocols. Port 22 is used for SFTP and FTPS client can't connect to it (the protocol just won't work).

2) SFTP (as well as FTPS) are used for file transfer. They are not intended for executing any commands which you type. There's preset number of operations that you can do. Eg. "Create dir" is performed on the server, so looking for directory on local disk makes no sense.

Overall it looks like you don't have a particular goal, and just playing without goal won't let you study the component.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/23/2013 04:55:01

Hello Mr Mayevski and thank you for your prompt response. I am quite sorry to have given you the impression that I don't have a particular goal. My goal is to create a VB.NET app using your product that can send and retrieve files between two machines over the internet, and can be set up to run automatically. This is a rather important goal as I cannot graduate from college until I have achieved it. I opened the sample project which seemed to have the closest resemblance to this idea of those to which you kindly guided me. It is my hope that with this understanding you may advise me as to how I might best study the component with the focus of achieving this goal as directly as might be most reasonable.

Thanks again for all your help. Best, -Patrick Weaver
Posted: 02/23/2013 04:56:30

You have the console client sample which does exactly what you need to do. Ability to study and understand the source code is a must for a graduate, so that's your task to study the code and adapt it to your needs.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/23/2013 05:24:54

[QUOTE]#23674

Thank you Mr Mayevski. It is certainly my plan to study the sample carefully. I have returned to the samples Dir and found the SFTP client (thank you for clarifying that for me) It is running now. I press the upload button and it opens a browse window. I select a file and press 'open' and the message in the 'event' window reads "error during upload: Permission Denied." I wonder if there is any tutorial or other documentation you may direct me to to aid me in using and developing the best understanding of the component?
Thanks for your guidance. Best, -Patrick
Posted: 02/23/2013 06:40:10

There's a how-to on the component in the help file, which is installed on your computer.

As for your particular error - it means that you can't upload the file to the remote directory of your choice. You need to navigate to other directory first.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1205 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!