EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

OpenPGPBlackbox or Zip Black Box for this scenario

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 02/19/2013 01:41:12
by Prabhu Comandur (Basic support level)

Hi there.
Hope you can help me out. We're looking to use Secure Black Box for zipping and encrypting a set of pdf documents at the source side in a Windows environment and unzip & decrypt at the receiving end in a AIX 6.1 environment. Could you please let us know if OpenPGPBlackbox package of SecureBlackbox would work in this scenario?

I also found out that there's another package called ZipBlackBox. Would this work as well in the above scenario?

Thanks!

Prabhu
Posted: 02/19/2013 01:47:55
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

In your particular case you can use both.

With OpenPGPBlackbox you need to ensure that your decryption tool on AIX supports extraction of multiple files from one PGP file - this is not a standard functionality and it was introduced by PGP Corporation relatively recently (i.e. old versions of GnuPG and PGP tools don't support it).

With ZIPBlackbox you need to use strong encryption (AES is used in that case). But again you need to check that AIX stuff would decrypt such encrypted ZIP files.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/19/2013 02:10:18

Thanks Eugene for a prompt response. Is there someone from Eldos that we can talk to in detail regarding the requirements we have and then take a call?

The broad scenario is what I explained below. There will be a bunch of PDFs which will be compressed first and then the compressed file will be encrypted using OpenPGPBlackbox. On the receiving end, we'll first decrypt the compressed file and then un-compress/extract the individual PDFs from it.

It would be useful to talk to a person over the phone and then make an informed decision. many Thanks for your support.

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
In your particular case you can use both.

With OpenPGPBlackbox you need to ensure that your decryption tool on AIX supports extraction of multiple files from one PGP file - this is not a standard functionality and it was introduced by PGP Corporation relatively recently (i.e. old versions of GnuPG and PGP tools don't support it).

With ZIPBlackbox you need to use strong encryption (AES is used in that case). But again you need to check that AIX stuff would decrypt such encrypted ZIP files.
Posted: 02/19/2013 02:39:49

Please read about phone support here.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/19/2013 23:04:01

OK, could you please let me know if OpenPGPBlackBox will work in AIX 6.1 environment?

Also, do you foresee any issues with using OpenPGPBlackBox in a Windows environment for encryption and a Unix environment for decryption? Thanks!
Posted: 02/20/2013 01:41:42

If Mono exists for AIX , you can use .NET edition of SecureBlackbox and use its Mono assemblies. Also I am sure that there's Java on AIX, so you can use Java edition of SecureBlackbox on AIX as well. All editions have the same interface so there will be no difficulties.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/20/2013 01:46:42
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Prabhu,

I believe there are two options of using SecureBlackbox under AIX:

1. Use SecureBlackbox Java edition from a Java application.
2. Compile VCL (Delphi) edition's source code with FreePascal.

.NET edition is apparently not usable under AIX as there is no version of Mono available for this platform.

Although we do not support AIX officially and performed no direct testing with it, most of SecureBlackbox code is native and should compile and work fine under AIX. I welcome the customers who had experience with running SecureBlackbox under AIX to join us here in this topic to share their experience.
Posted: 02/20/2013 02:13:40

Thanks Eugene and Ivanov..

Could you please comment on the support for SecureBlackBox Java edition in AIX 6.1, in case there's an issue? Will we be able to raise a ticket for troubleshooting, analysis or debugging?

Also, Is there a trial version of the software that we can use for evaluation for 4 weeks? Ta.
Posted: 02/20/2013 02:23:02
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Hello.

We didn't perform testing on AIX, but SecureBlackBox Java edition should work on any platform that supports Java. This is one of the main Java benefits.

Will we be able to raise a ticket for troubleshooting, analysis or debugging?

You can create a ticket in case of any troubles and we always try to do our best to solve reported problems as quickly as possible.

The trial package can be downloaded here: https://www.eldos.com/sbb/download-release.php

You should also read this article before starting the evaluation process: https://www.eldos.com/sbb/trial-limitations.php
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 1544 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!