EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Secure webservices

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 12/08/2012 13:59:04
by Luk Smolders (Standard support level)

I would like to create webservices and consume them from local applications written in Delphi. What components do I need to make this operation secure ?
SSLBlackbox client ?
Webservices will return xml data and are written in asp.net and use https.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Posted: 12/08/2012 14:14:49
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The answer depends on how *exactly* you plan to offer and consume web services. SOAP is a standard protocol (though some developers use custom solutions). If you go for SOAP, then the question is what components you plan to use for SOAP (SecureBlackbox doesn't have components for SOAP and we have no plans for them). If you go for custom protocol, the question is the same.

Default Delphi component offered for SOAP (I don't remember it's name at the moment) can not be extended to use SSL - its design is closed and there's no way to "hook" socket operations.

We recommend everyone to use RemObjects SDK for web services. RemObjects SDK uses Indy as a transport and you can use SecureBlackbox with Indy (and with RemObjects SDK). For this you need SSLBlackbox client package and add-on classes for Indy (the ones in <SecureBlackbox>\Classes\Indy folder of SecureBlackbox VCL installation).

If you plan to write your own SOAP code (for simple tasks this makes more sense then employing heavyweight third-party SOAP library), then you can easily use TElSimpleSSLClient or TElHTTPSClient to send SOAP requests via SSL/TLS-secured socket (both classes have built-in sockets with SSL/TLS support). Again, SSLBlackbox client or HTTPBlackbox client package would be enough.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/09/2012 12:41:55
by Luk Smolders (Standard support level)

Thank you very much for this quick response.

I'll probably write my own SOAP code and will buy the SSLBlackbox client.

Sincerely yours,

Topic viewed 616 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!