EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Enveloping signatures - binary files

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 11/30/2012 08:40:25
by Jacek Badziak (Basic support level)

Scenario: we have 1000+ PNG files that we want to sign - one quite important fact is that an enveloping/XADES signature must be used (as the receiving server is designed to support only such type of signatures).

The file contents should be base64 encoded and placed as specific object in the resulting file.

I've been trying to use the XMLBlackBox sample - but with no success. Could You please provide sample on how to use Eldox XmlBlackBox classes or how to alter XMLBlackBox sample to support such functionality.

Posted: 11/30/2012 08:45:52
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Our sample supports enveloping signatures generation, so we need more information to help you. Could you please describe how did you use our sample and post here a sample file of a signature that server recognizes as valid.

You should also clarify what XMLBlackBox version and edition (VCL, .NET, Java) do you use.
Posted: 11/30/2012 09:06:02

Hello and Thank You for Your fast answer. The basic idea is - there is NO XML file that we could choose up-front in the Choose XML file box. We only have a bunch of binary files that we need to sign and once signed - place them on a specific network share. I've a sample file and I attached it to my response. We are trying to use .NET flavour of the ELDOS SecureBlackBox.
Posted: 11/30/2012 09:07:46
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

XAdES expects that you sign XML files, not just binary data. Can it be that you need CAdES instead (which indeed is used to sign binary data)? XAdES and CAdES are similar in functionality and capabilities, though of course different in format.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/30/2012 09:17:49
by Dmytro Bogatskyy (EldoS Corp.)

You need to create a detached XML signature.
Please try to use XMLBlackbox\AdvancedSigner sample, press "Add Signature" and choose Detached for a signature type, then for a reference Data select a file (URI File), then select signing key and sign.
Posted: 11/30/2012 09:25:45

Once again thank You very much for such fast answer. You are refering to some program sample (AdvancedSigner) but sadly it is not in included in my evaluation version.
Posted: 11/30/2012 09:45:43
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Its located in \EldoS\SecureBlackbox.<edition>\Samples\<language>\XMLBlackbox\AdvancedSigner folder. If its not there you should download the latest version.
Posted: 12/01/2012 04:48:21

Thank You - I found it under C# directory (for some reason there is no sample in the VB.NET directory but this is not a problem). The real problem is that I really need enveloping signatures and not detached signatures. I've attached very brief example of the expected result. Maybe You can navigate me to some other sample that will be capable of doing that.

[ Download ]
Posted: 12/01/2012 14:56:52
by Dmytro Bogatskyy (EldoS Corp.)

Your signature has a detached and enveloping signature type at the same time. Detached because an xml document consist only from a signature, and enveloping because you sign internal object.
There is no standard way to create a signature similar to yours, but it could be simply achieved by using detached signature type and adding a custom object that contains base64 encoded data and adding a reference to this object.
Please see:

Another way, is to create an xml document that contains only one text node using DOM methods and then sign it using enveloping signature type.
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Topic viewed 2024 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!