EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SFTP download fails - Access Denied

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 01/26/2007 13:32:27
by Jeff McIntosh (Basic support level)

I'm using the SBSimpleSftp.TElSimpleSFTPClient.DownloadFile method to retrieve a file from my SFTP server. I have this code tested and deployed to a production server where it works just fine.

Today I deployed it to a Windows XP desktop box, and when the .DownloadFile method is called, the component throws an error because "Access Denied" to C:\Downloads".

Since the code has run fine on two other machines, I don't think there's anything wrong with the code. I think it is an environmental issue on the PC where this is running. I'm wondering if you have any ideas what might be causing this.

I've checked: the 'C:\Downloads' folder exists. The user running the application has full permissions to the folder. All users have full persmissions to the folder. The user running this is even a member of the local administrators group on the PC.

What else could be causing this?

Can an antivirus package or system policy do this? The company where this is installed has a lot of controls in place to guard their systems.

Any suggestions are gratefully received.
Posted: 01/26/2007 13:36:56

To clarify: There is a file to be downloaded, and C:\Downloads is the directory specified in the .DownloadFile method for writing the file once it is downloaded.
Posted: 01/26/2007 13:44:01
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Are you talking about .NET edition? If this is the case, check .NET permissions.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/26/2007 14:54:32

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, using the .NET edition of SFTPBlackbox, invoking it via C# 1.1

Can you elaborate on "check .NET permissions"?
Posted: 01/27/2007 03:25:50
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I am not an expert in .NET security, but I know that the application can run with full trust or with limited trust. In second case there are some permissions that can be adjusted. Those permissions specify what actions the applications can take. It's possible that your application doesn't have rights to write to local file systems.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Topic viewed 2464 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!