EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Windows Phone 8 TElHTTPSClient performance

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 11/07/2012 04:02:42
by Rajen Kishna (Basic support level)

Hi,

We're seeing large performance differences on the TelHTTPSClient component between Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 (same Windows Phone 7 app, running on different devices). Doing a simple GET request to a regular website (~60kb HTML response) yields the following results:

Code
Windows Phone 7 device (mobile connection)
------------------------------------------
WebClient         2.5-3.5 seconds
TelHTTPSClient    4.5-5.0 seconds

Windows Phone 8 emulator (mobile connection)
--------------------------------------------
WebClient         2.0-2.5 seconds
TelHTTPSClient    TIMEOUT

Windows Phone 8 device (mobile connection)
------------------------------------------
WebClient         2.5-3.0 seconds
TelHTTPSClient    TIMEOUT

If we try it on a simple page that only returns a couple of characters, the TelHTTPSClient on Windows Phone 8 completes, but it takes incredibly long to complete (40+ seconds).

Is this a known issue that's being worked on?
Posted: 11/07/2012 04:11:04
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

We've just made a fix to TElHTTPSClient that resulted in slowdown is some cases. However could you clarify if you use assemblies from the same build for both WP7 and WP8 targets? If you do and get different results, then this is not the case.

You should also note that evaluation version of SecureBlackbox includes time delay, which occurs during execution of certain methods. You should perform speed measurement tests only with the licensed version or request an unlock key here: https://www.eldos.com/sbb/trial-limitations.php
Posted: 11/07/2012 04:20:06
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Rajen,

Is it only the first GET attempt per process that results in the slowdown, or you get similar slowdowns on subsequent GETs as well?
Posted: 11/07/2012 04:20:44

Hi Vsevolod,

We're using the 10.0.227 assemblies on both devices. In fact, we're using the exact same XAP on the Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 devices and see these results.

While I think it's unlikely that the trial limitations will manifest themselves differently between devices, I'll try again with an unlock key to make sure that the behavior is not caused by the trial license.
Posted: 11/07/2012 04:23:07

Innokentiy Ivanov wrote:
Rajen,

Is it only the first GET attempt per process that results in the slowdown, or you get similar slowdowns on subsequent GETs as well?

We're seeing this on all requests (GET/POST) with the TelHTTPSClient. In our actual application we do numerous subsequent requests and when deployed on Windows Phone 7 we see a quick response, while on Windows Phone 8 (again, same XAP deployed) we see a major slowdown for each request.

I can supply a small sample project if needed.
Posted: 11/07/2012 04:27:34
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Indeed 40+ seconds delays are really unlikely to be caused by evaluation restrictions. I guess we will need to try to reproduce the issue locally. How far within the network is your destination web server located from the mobile device/emulator? Does the issue occur if the web server is local to the phone's network?
Posted: 11/07/2012 04:46:46

Vsevolod,

I just tried with an evaluation/unlock key, but I'm seeing the same behavior.

Innokentiy,

The location of the web server does not seem to influence the behavior. Requesting a resource from the local LAN or the internet always results in the delay on Windows Phone 8.

I'll create a support ticket and will attach a sample project for you to try, where a request via WebClient and TElHTTPSClient on Windows Phone 7 take approximately 150-250ms and 300-600ms respectively and the same XAP deployed on the Windows Phone 8 emulator results in WebClient executing in approximately 20-30ms and TelHTTPSClient approximately 60000ms.
Posted: 01/31/2014 06:43:01
by Tom Bartels (Basic support level)

As i'm currently facing the same problem with our Windows Phone 7 app running on Windows Phone 8, i was wondering if this problem has already been fixed?
Posted: 01/31/2014 06:45:27
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

For some reason WP7 assemblies are slow on WP8. WP8 assemblies work fine. So unfortunately the only option is to deploy specific set of WP8 assemblies to WP8 devices.

On a side note, if you have a license, please link the license ticket to your user account. The ticket itself and the procedure of its use are specified in the registration e-mail that was sent to you upon license purchase. If you don't have the license ticket, please contact the person from which you have obtained the license key (the one in your source code) for a license ticket.

NOTE: please don't post license keys and license tickets to the forum. If you need to clarify something about your license, please use HelpDesk ( http://www.eldos.com/helpdesk/ ).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/31/2014 06:57:47
by Tom Bartels (Basic support level)

Thank you for the quick response. Are there any plans on investigating/fixing this issue?

I'll probably get a license pretty soon, so i'll be sure to link it, thanks.

Tom
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2742 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!