EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SFTP with proxy server

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 10/09/2012 17:31:10
by Brad Sprague (Premium support level)

I'm trying to connect to a SFTP server via a proxy server. I've set the UseWebTunneling, WebTunnelAddress and WebTunnelPort on my TElSimpleSFTPClient object to the appropriate values but when I try to open the connection I get a Connection failed (error code is 96269). I see from another post that this represents a SB_SOCKET_ERROR_WEBTUNNEL_NEGOTIATION_FAILED condition. I know that all of my information is correct as I'm able to connect to the server with FileZilla using the same user and proxy information.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Is there a quick way to see that requests and responses being passed by the TElSimpleSFTPClient object? I would think being able to compare this information to the FileZilla logs could help me resolve this issue.

My application is written in C#, targeting the .Net 4.0 framework and I'm using v10.0.226.0 of the SecureBlackBox components, also targeted to the .Net 4.0 framework.
Posted: 10/10/2012 01:39:28
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Do I understand you right that your proxy doesn't require authentication? What kind of proxy do you use? FileZilla log can also help to find out the reason of the error.
Posted: 10/10/2012 08:53:09

Correct, our proxy server does not require authentication. I'm not sure I understand your question about the type of proxy. Anyway, how can I trace the interactions between the TElSimpleSFTPClient and the SFTP server?
Posted: 10/10/2012 10:08:01
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

The proxy type could be HTTP or Socks 4/5. You can trace a connection using Wireshark and post its log here for analysis.
Posted: 10/10/2012 14:18:53

I had a character transposed in my configuration file. The proxy server was returning a "502 Host not found" error. Getting a error like this back from the TElSimpleSFTPClient class would have been a lot more helpful then the 96269 error code. This would be a nice enhancement for a future release.
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Topic viewed 2713 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!