EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Does the simple FTPS client support STOU

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 10/02/2012 05:51:47
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

No need - I've added it to ToDo and we will implement it for one of upcoming 10.0 build (not to initial release though).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/15/2014 04:43:06
by Ilija Pavlov (Standard support level)

Hi,

I would like to ask about the status of this feature. I cannot find any information in the changelist, so is it implemented or still on the 'to do' list?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Ilija
Posted: 01/15/2014 04:54:48

Nope, we didn't implement it and I can't say if we will. Not everything in the todo list needs implementing.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/15/2014 05:22:17

Ok, thank you for the response.

We need this in order to ensure backward compatibility with the previous library.

Now the next question would be if we can implement some kind of 'custom command' which would send STOU with an argument.
Is that possible using the FTPS client now?

Best regards,
Ilija
Posted: 01/15/2014 05:35:00

While there's SendCmd command available that also opens data channel, that variant was implemented for data download rather than upload, so no, this is not possible.

The problem with STOU with parameter is, as I described in previous messages, that it doesn't fit into current API design.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/15/2014 05:46:09

Can you please tell me again, why use STOU and not regular STOR? I.e. what exact functionality should be accomplished that is not possible now with Upload*() methods and their parameters (especially TransferMode)? TransferMode has such handy options like Overwrite and Skip.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/15/2014 06:26:56

We have a method which allows the user to specify several local files and folders and then all of the files are pasred and uploaded to the FTP server. Now since there can be several files with the same name we would like to instruct the server to assign an unique name on all the files but with ceratin prefix. For example if we try to upload 2 files with name file1.txt, then the server would choose some name but we like to add file1.txt before that name, so the result would be:
file1.txt12345
file1.txt12346

This is how the previous library worked.
Now I guess it is possible to use rename and manage this manually, but unfortunately some FTP servers do not accept STOU without argument and return 'invalid command' when we use the Send command with empty filename.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Ilija
Posted: 01/15/2014 07:07:34

Thank you for explanation. With Upload*() methods you specify the remote filename explicitly and you can give the unique name for each upload. Isn't that what you are looking for?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/15/2014 08:02:57

Well yes, it is of course possible to assign the names manually, but then we don't know how would the server have assigned the names, and maybe the customer expects ceratin naming scheme.
As given in the example, the server assigns names by generating some 5 digit number, but another server may use different scheme.

So to summarize: We would like to leave the server choose an unique name and then add our prefix to it.

Best regards,
Ilija
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2698 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!