EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Save CRL to local file for later use

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 10/30/2012 07:15:27
by Birger Jansen (Standard support level)

Some other issues had to be solved first (and a vacation) and now I am working on this again...
While I can get the code to TriggerCRLError with the right SB_VALIDATOR_CRL_ERROR_NO_CRLS_RETRIEVED code, I can't find where to inject my code to try to load a local saved CRL. The TElX509CertificateValidator.RetrieveCRLs will skip to the finally... part after the exception, so the TriggerCRLNeeded ( a couple of lines above) is not triggered.

Since I noticed that the CRL Server that we use (Thawte) is offline quite often I really want to het a caching mechanism in place... I hope you can help me!
Posted: 10/30/2012 08:28:12
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

You appear to be quite right. The issue really does exist and needs fixing.

Meanwhile, you can work around the issue by letting the validator 'know' your locally saved CRLs by passing them to its AddKnownCRLs() method. This should be done before validating any certificates with it.
Posted: 10/31/2012 04:07:31

The AddKnownCRLs() method is a good approach, it works! Thanks for pointing this procedure out to me, it results in much less code.

Btw, I noticed that sometimes an AddXXX(SomeObject) function makes a clone of SomeObject, so you can free it in the calling method, and sometimes (a reference to) the object itself is added so you must not free it.

For instance TElMemoryCRLStorage.Add(CRL : TElCertificateRevocationList) creates a NewCRL to which CRL is assigned. On the other hand TElX509CertificateValidator.AddKnownCRLs(Storage : TElCustomCRLStorage) just adds a pointer to Storage and the passed Storage must not be freed.

Is there a reason for these different approaches and any (naming) convention so that I can see beforehand if I need to free the added object or not?
Posted: 10/31/2012 04:40:27
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

The exact ownership approach to use in a particular Add*() method is usually chosen basing on the nature of the added object. In the particular cases above, the following considerations were used when designing the interfaces:

1) TElCustomCertStorage/TElCustomCRLStorage and their descendants are heavy components that contain references to objects that might reside in different physical locations. Creating a fully-functional copy of such objects is not always possible, as the copy operation might invalidate the references (e.g. a private key acquired in the original object might become unavailable in the copy). Moreover, storage objects are more or less persistent, are usually created once per task and remain alive for the whole lifetime of the task. This way, using a sort of 'global' storage object will help to omit time-consuming copy operations.

2) CRL and individual certificates are easy-to-clone objects; they are not as persistent as storage objects, and it will be much more easier for the component user to manage their lifetimes if each container object keeps its own copy of them.
Posted: 10/31/2012 04:43:23

Ok, thanks for the explanation!
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Topic viewed 2842 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!