EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Save CRL to local file for later use

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 09/25/2012 11:08:08
by Birger Jansen (Standard support level)

My client application needs to verify the server (https) certificate with a CRL.

Right now I use the TElX509CertificateValidator and this works fine: on the first encounter of the certificate the CRL is downloaded from the server and used.

It tuns out that the server is not always available so I am looking for a way to save to CRL to a file and load it the next time. I want to check the CRL age and allow the CRL to be x days old before requiring a new CRL. This is so that the client application can work, even when the server providing the CRL is not available.

I have looked through the various properties and methods of the TElX509CertificateValidator but I can not find a way to 'cache' the CRL to a local file. I also tried using OnCRLRetrieved and OnCRLNeeded to save the CRL after it was retreived, but I'm not sure if that will be the way to go.

Are there any methods that can be used in this scenario?
Posted: 09/25/2012 11:17:55
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Hello.

You can use TElX509CertificateValidator.OnCRLRetrieved event handler to do this.
Posted: 09/25/2012 11:41:51

Is this assumption right:
If the CRL server can be reached then OnCRLRetrieved will be called. Here I will save the CRL to disk. Then OnCRLNeeded will be called but I don't need to do anything there.

If the CRL server cannot be reached then OnCRLRetreived will not be called, but OnCRLNeeded will be called and there I can load a previously saved CRL

Is this correct?
Posted: 09/25/2012 11:44:28
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, this is correct.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/25/2012 11:44:33

Yes its correct.
Posted: 09/25/2012 11:47:59

Ha, the whole team agrees! :-)

Thanks!
Posted: 09/25/2012 14:37:43

I'm encountering a problem while implementing this:

When I set MandatoryCRLCheck to True then RetrieveCRLs raises an exception when the CRL server cannot be reached. The CRLCheck fails and OnCRLNeeded is not called at all.

When I set MandatoryCRLCheck to False then OnCrlNeeded is called, but even when it doesn't add a CRL to the CRLs list the check passes (since the CRL check is not mandatory).

How can I enforce a CRL check with a CRL Server, and if that fails use OnCrlNeeded (or an other function) to check with a CRL that I saved locally?
Posted: 09/26/2012 03:56:51

You can handle TElX509CertificateValidator.OnCRLError event and if its raised with ErrorCode equal to SB_VALIDATOR_CRL_ERROR_RETRIEVER_FAILED then you can set MandatoryCRLCheck to False and ensure that a CRL is passed via OnCRLNeeded event handler.
Posted: 09/26/2012 07:31:12

Sadly that doen't work.
In SBCertValidator line 1528:
Code
ACRL := CurrentCRLRetriever.GetCRL(Certificate, CACertificate, GeneralName.NameType, CurrentLocation);

does not raise an exception (I get an html 404 error because I changed the CRL's server to localhost in my host-file). Instead ARCL = nil and
Code
TriggerCRLError(Certificate, CurrentLocation, CurrentCRLRetriever, SB_VALIDATOR_CRL_ERROR_RETRIEVER_FAILED);

is not called...

Any other suggestions?
Posted: 09/26/2012 11:06:40

Sorry for the wrong suggestion. SB_VALIDATOR_CRL_ERROR_NO_CRLS_RETRIEVED should be reported via TriggerCRLError instead of SB_VALIDATOR_CRL_ERROR_RETRIEVER_FAILED.
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2859 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!