EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Quirk with SBSimpleSftp.TElSimpleSFTPClient.Uploadfiles

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 01/02/2007 12:12:41
by Gary Loftus (Basic support level)

Hi,

I am using the following command to upload all text files from a local directory to an sftp directory:-

sftpClient.UploadFiles("C:\FTPTest", "*.txt", ".", TSBSFTPFileTransferMode.ftmOverwrite, False, TSBSFTPCaseConversion.sccNone, False)

When I go to look at the files on the SFTP server I'm noticing that they are having a "\" added in front of the names. e.g. "Hello.txt" on my local server is ending up on the remote server as "\Hello.txt". I have tried using the command with and without the final "\". e.g. "c:\FTPTest\" and "C:\FTPTest" but the forward slash keeps on appearing.

Does anyone have a solution to this?
Posted: 01/02/2007 12:33:17
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

0) SFTP doesn't have a concept of current directory. Don't use '.' as a directory name.

If after fixing the above problem the problem continues, please answer ALL of the questions below.

1) what version of SecureBlackbox are you using? Is it SBB 4 or SBB 5?
2) What exactly SSH server software runs on the remote server?
3) how exactly are you looking at the remote file names?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/03/2007 04:57:10

Thanks for the reply Eugene.

I am a bit confused. For the Downloadfiles method I do use "." for the remotepath and it works perfectly.

If I cannot use "." as remotepath what am i supposed to use if I want to access the root directory as "" does not work?
Posted: 01/03/2007 05:26:01

You must use absolute paths, such as "/home", or "/root". You can use GetAbsolutePath(".") to request the absolute path for the directory.

The fact that point works for DownloadFiles means only one thing - the server implements file name handling differently for download and for upload.

In any case, the behaviour described in your original question is a server-side problem. ElSimpleSftpClient itself has nothing to do with those paths -- the path you give is only merged with the filename and passed to the server. There's no place for "\" (backslash) to appear. I can share the source code (in pascal) of UploadFiles() method so you can check it yourself.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/03/2007 06:02:46

Thanks again Eugene.

I created a sub-directory for testing purposes on the remote server called "Test". The filenames still have a "\" in front of them when using the Uploadfiles method call.

In answer to your 3 questions:

1) I am using version 5.0.104
2) I dont know what SSH server software runs on the remote server. I do not have control over it. I am trying to find out now.
3) I am using an application called Sftpdrive to view the files on the remote server. I have also looked at the files with CuteFTP with the same results. Interestingly, when I use the downloadfiles method call to retieve the files, they are not having the "\" on them when copied to my local server.
Posted: 01/03/2007 06:27:49

So what path are you currently using in your requests?

Regarding the downloading -- the backslash is a forbidden symbol in Windows file systems, so it won't appear in the file names after downloading.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/03/2007 06:30:37

Currently I am using this:-

sftpClient.UploadFiles("C:\FTPSTest", "*.txt", "Test", TSBSFTPFileTransferMode.ftmOverwrite, False, TSBSFTPCaseConversion.sccNone, False)

"Test" is a sub-folder on the remote server.

Posted: 01/03/2007 06:36:04

In answer to question 2 the software on the remote server is OpenSSH and the installed version is
openssh-server-3.9p1-8.RHEL4.9 (It's a RedHat Linux RPM).

Posted: 01/03/2007 07:09:17

Test is still a relative path. YOU MUST USE ABSOLUTE PATHS.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/03/2007 07:29:54

I have changed the code with no effect. I am still having "\" placed in front of the filename.

Dim sRemotePath As String

sRemotePath = sftpClient.RequestAbsolutePath(".")
sftpClient.UploadFiles("C:\FTPSTest", "*.txt", sRemotePath, TSBSFTPFileTransferMode.ftmOverwrite, False, TSBSFTPCaseConversion.sccNone, False)
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 10512 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!