EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Can SSH Server be set up using ASP .Net membership for authentication

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 06/07/2012 19:36:11
by kathy Farah (Basic support level)

Hello I'm evaluating this software for my company and I had a question after looking at the sample code. Can we use this software to set up an SFTP/SSH server where clients could log in using their ASP .Net credentials? It looks like the GSS API is what we would want to use but I only see documentation for that for the client side. Also we'd like to be able to fire an event when a user drops a file on our SSH server using SFTP ... is that possible using the blackbox components.

Thanks,
Katherine Farah
Posted: 06/08/2012 03:36:44
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Kathy, thank you for getting in touch with us.

Server-side SSHBlackbox components do not stick to particular authentication models, leaving this task to the component user. This approach give the maximal flexibility and allows to utilize any desired authentication module on the server side.

Whenever a client authenticates to the server with a username/password pair, the server invokes a OnAuthPassword event and passes the provided credentials to it. Having received the credentials, you are free to check it in the way you want - against some credentials database, local system or domain environment, and so on. This way, you can utilize means provided by the framework or operating system to check the validity of the provided credentials.

Answering your second question, TElSFTPServer provides a lot of control over file transfers. You will receive an event from the component whenever the file is opened, written to and closed, so you can easily track the moment when the file is there and report it further up your application's logic.
Posted: 06/08/2012 04:04:56
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Innokentiy Ivanov wrote:
You will receive an event from the component whenever the file is opened, written to and closed, so you can easily track the moment when the file is there and report it further up your application's logic.

Actually it's the code *you* write which will do actual reading and writing of files, so you can store them wherever you want.

Regarding GSS-API: it requires external modules (eg. Kerberos is plugged using GSS-API and external GSS DLLs) and I don't think you would have ones for ASP.NET authentication. However as Innokentiy mentioned, you should be checking credentials in OnAuthPassword event handler.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/08/2012 04:38:18
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

I doubt that the TS has a need for GSS at all here. The credentials can be validated in entirely managed way through the ASP.NET Membership interfaces.
Posted: 06/08/2012 05:08:34
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, absolutely.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/08/2012 11:51:33
by kathy Farah (Basic support level)

Thanks Innokentiy and Eugene this was really helpful! :)
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 841 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!