EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

using SecureBlackBox PGP with VS 2010 targeting 3.5

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 02/09/2012 13:51:19
by Phil McIntosh (Standard support level)

I am evaluating SecureBlackBox PGP for use in a VB.net app in Visual Studio 10 that targets the .Net 3.5 framework, and when I try to add SecureBlackBoxPGP.dll from the NET_20 folder as a reference, I get a message that it "requires a later version of the .NET framework than the one specified in the project".

How do I get around this? I am looking at the Eldos product because it does not require installing PGP on each client. If I have to install .NET 4 on each client then I might as well use a free component and install PGP.
Posted: 02/09/2012 14:03:01
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I suppose you didn't receive the e-mail, where I provided the following instructions:

".NET 3.5 is .NET 2.0 + some extra libraries. You need to add .NET 2.0 assemblies, which can be found in <SecureBlackbox>\Assemblies\NET_20 folder. "

Instead of adding assemblies from GAC you need to add them from the above mentioned folder.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/09/2012 14:11:19

That is what I have been doing from the start, using he browse tab and browsing to that folder, and I still get the message.
Posted: 02/09/2012 15:31:32
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

I believe that Visual Studio incorrectly resolves references to the SecureBlackbox assemblies you are adding, ending up with .NET 4.0 assemblies bound to a .NET 3.5 project. In fact, the behavior you described is a sort of strange; actually, you are the very first customer to report any framework version conflict. I tried to reproduce the issue locally, and have succeeded in referencing assemblies from NET_20 folder in .NET 3.5 project in Visual Studio 2010. The project has also compiled and run flawlessly.

Could you please let us know, on what stage does Visual Studio display the error message for you? Does it do when adding the reference, or when building or running the project?
Posted: 02/09/2012 15:49:55

I got the message when I tried to add the reference.
Posted: 02/09/2012 16:04:35

And is that actually an error message or a warning message? I.e. does it allow you to go on and force adding the reference, or the error message is a show-stopper?

If it's the former, could you please try to proceed with adding the reference (do not take the warning into account for now) and try to compile and run the project?

BTW, what kind of project are you trying to add references to? Is it of desktop, ASP.NET or maybe some other type?
Posted: 02/09/2012 16:06:27

I recall now that we had similar warnings displayed when adding references to WP7 projects, yet the warnings actually were irrelevant in that case and the WP7 project could have been compiled, run and deployed flawlessly. So it is possible that the issue you are facing has the same roots (VS picks the assemblies from the GAC even though they have a different target framework). I guess removing .NET 4.0-targeted SecureBlackbox assemblies from the GAC will eliminate the issue for you.
Posted: 02/09/2012 16:33:12

It does let me add it anyway.
Removing all the SecureBlackBox stuff from GAC had no effect.
Will I be able to test the built app on another computer with the trial license?
Posted: 02/09/2012 16:43:14

Yes, you can test the application wherever you consider it reasonable for the thorough evaluation. The license is not bound to any particular hardware or software. Please ensure that the correct assembly set (that from the NET_20 directory) is deployed with your application.

Could you please answer my question about the type of your project? This might help us reproducing the issue locally.
Posted: 02/09/2012 17:01:16

It is a windows forms application. My dev machine is Windows 7 Pro 64bit.
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Topic viewed 3547 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!