EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

establishing ssh tunnel to linux tun device

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 01/26/2012 05:43:26
by Klaus Schulte (Basic support level)

Hi,

in Linux there is a tun device (tun/tap) configured (with modprobe tun).

I would like to establish a SSH tunnel to this device
using the secureBlackBox component.

With a another linux machine I can connect using this command to the tun device.
ssh -w0:0 -i $ssh_rsa -p <port> -l <username> $sshTarget

The -w option which turns ssh into a full-on VPN solution rather than just a port-at-a-time port forwarder.

Is it possible by using secureLockBox tunneling feature to connect like that to the linux box?

Best regards
Klaus
Posted: 01/26/2012 08:18:42
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

In order to emulate SSH -w option a SSH client should be attached to a TUN/TAP device installed and configured in the system.

Let's say that you configured tun0 on client side, then whenever kernel sends any packet to tun0, it is passed to the application. Application sends it to the other side via SSH tunnel. Application on other side processes it and writes decrypted packet to the TAP device, kernel handles the packet like it came from real physical device.

You can implement such functionality using SecureBlackbox by writing your own TElCustomSSHTunnel descendant. But SecureBlackbox doesn't include such functionality by default.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1082 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!