EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Disable default DNS.

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 01/21/2012 10:07:11
by Petr Munzar (Standard support level)

Hello,

I would like to use alternative DNS server. Like Google dns (8.8.8.8). Instead system DNS. And don't use system DNS at all.

My Code:

Code
HTTPSClient.DNS.Enabled = true;
HTTPSClient.DNS.UseSecurity = false;
HTTPSClient.DNS.Servers.Add("8.8.8.8");

It seems that it still tries to use default system DNS. When I set up system DNS as non-existing address. It will wait a few seconds. And then it use Google DNS.

Petr Munzar, programmer of Identity Cloaker (www.identitycloaker.com), Czech Republic
Posted: 01/21/2012 10:40:38
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I have traced through the source code and didn't see any problems - only your explicitly specified server is used. System servers are used only if DNS.Enabled is false.
Posted: 01/21/2012 12:49:57

Ok, sorry I have mislead you a little bit. I have used WireShark and figured it out.
Problem is in this code:

Code
      private void HTTPSClient_OnCertificateValidate(object Sender, SBX509.TElX509Certificate X509Certificate, ref bool Validate)
        {            

TSBCertificateValidity Validity = TSBCertificateValidity.cvInvalid;
            int Reason = 0;
            if ((X509Certificate.Chain == null) || (X509Certificate.Chain.get_Certificates(0) == X509Certificate))
            {              
                CertificateValidator.ValidateForSSL(X509Certificate, HTTPSClient.RemoteHost, HTTPSClient.RemoteIP, TSBHostRole.hrServer, null, false, false, DateTime.Now, ref Validity, ref Reason);
                Validate = (Validity == TSBCertificateValidity.cvOk) || (Validity == TSBCertificateValidity.cvSelfSigned);
            }
           else
              Validate = true;          
        }

(I have copied it from your sample code.) It will use default DNS. This is why it will wait till timeout. So I gues that I will not be validating certificate with alternative DNS ?

Petr Munzar, programmer of Identity Cloaker (www.identitycloaker.com), Czech Republic
Posted: 01/21/2012 13:27:02

No, why should it? You have specified DNS only for the HTTPSClient which you use to send a request.

In your code snippet ValidateForSSL probably sends a CRL or OCSP request during validation, and this goes with default DNS of course. You can handle TElX509CertificateValidator's events, namely OnBefore*Use, and tune-up HTTP client used in CRL retriever and OCSP responder. Or you can create your own CRL retriever and OCSP responder - the sample for doing this is present in SecureBlackbox 9.1.213 in \Samples\Delphi\PKI\CertValidator sample (I've copied our classes' source code there and simplified it a bit).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/21/2012 14:08:26

Ok, thank you. I will do that. And last question. Does HTTPSClient DNS support caching? Like if I read data from www.google.com. Three times in 10 seconds. Then it won't ask DNS server three times (and it will save some time)?

Posted: 01/22/2012 03:35:08

Not at the moment. You can add an idea to the wishlist to see how popular it is, but since it's first time the question about using custom DNS servers is asked, I believe this is not a widespread feature. But who knows ...

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/22/2012 03:51:14

I've missed the point that you have the source code, so you don't need a sample - just look into SBHTTPOCSPClient.pas and SBHTPCRL.pas

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 816 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!