EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Verifying PDF timestamps

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 11/15/2006 08:57:40
by Paul Battersby (Standard support level)

Hi,

I have read the online articles about verifying timestamps (in particular the ones for PDF) and I understand about verifying the certificates used in the timestamp response using the TElCientTSPInfo class.

However, I can't locate any information regarding verifying the actual timestamp itself - in particular I would like to confirm that the MessageImprint authenticated attibute is correct. Is there a method for obtaining the required digest so it can be compared with that from the timestamp?

Many thanks,
Paul Battersby.
Posted: 11/15/2006 15:46:34
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

All the necessary validity checks of the timestamp value are performed internally by TElCustomTSPClient descendants inside their Timestamp() methods. I.e., you just have to check the return value of this method to ensure that the timestamp is correct. If one (or some) of timestamp parameters are invalid, TSP error (e.g., SB_TSP_ERROR_WRONG_IMPRINT) is returned.
Posted: 11/15/2006 23:59:05
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Well, the certificates used to sign the timestamp must be validated by the application.

Details are described in the knowledgebase articles related to timestamp verification.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/17/2006 08:03:19
by Paul Battersby (Standard support level)

Innokentiy Ivanov wrote:
All the necessary validity checks of the timestamp value are performed internally by TElCustomTSPClient descendants inside their Timestamp() methods.

Sorry, but I don't think you understood my original post. I need to verify the timestamp of an existing signature. As far as I can tell this method is only called when actually performing the timestamp request to the server. I need to check if the timestamp of a signature is valid, similar to checking the validity of a signature with the Validate() method

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Well, the certificates used to sign the timestamp must be validated by the application.

Yes, I can validate the certificates OK using the articles in the knowledgebase, but the timestamp itself must first be validated rather than just relying on the validity of the certificates.

Many thanks,
Paul.
Posted: 11/17/2006 09:43:12
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The timestamps are validated automatically when the document is processed. You don't need to do this manually.
If the timestamp is not valid, it will not be read and it's Time will be 0.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3798 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!