EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Signing PDF/A files

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 10/06/2011 10:56:50
by ingbabic  (Standard support level)

Hello
After I signed PDF/A document (document that conforms PDF/A-1b standard) with your library it was not any more PDF/A!! Please can u check this. I have used your sample application for signing PDFs with PADES standard. In attachment (in zip)you have valid PDF/A-1b document(this you can test on following site http://www.datalogics.com/products/callas/callaspdfA-onlinedemo.asp).

I need to be able to sign with PADES, PDF/A documents and they have to stay PDF/A after signing.

[ Download ]
Posted: 10/06/2011 11:24:31
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

PDF/A standard exposes quite strict requirements, so some of the transformations performed by SecureBlackbox might lead to breakdown of PDF/A compatibility. Still, you can preserve the compatibility by tuning the components up in the proper way.

As known, PDF/A in particular requires that
- the document should be self-contained,
- no encryption should be used,
- no LZW and JPEG2000 compression should be used.

Therefore, you must not use JPEG or JPEG2000 backgrounds when creating signatures. By using invisible signatures or vector widgets the PDF/A compatibility will be preserved.
Posted: 10/06/2011 11:35:28

I have used invisible signature. I did not check anything in the form. I wanted just plain PADES signed PDF document. Please can you test this?
Posted: 10/06/2011 11:43:04

Hmm, according to the information on the web site you mentioned (http://www.datalogics.com/products/ca...edemo.asp) they only check compatibility against PDF/A-1 standard. However, provisions for PAdES digital signatures are only supported in PDF/A-2.
Posted: 10/06/2011 11:58:27

Thank you very much for information. Can you please tell me how (which tool, or site) to validate pdf against PDF/A-2?
Posted: 10/06/2011 14:39:32

Frankly speaking, I am not aware of such tools / sites. Yet, we'd be thankful to everyone who could share this information here with all of us.
Posted: 10/07/2011 01:52:08

Hmm, something is still wrong...
After I tried with PADES demo, I give a try with TinySigner (also sample app that comes with SBB). Here I will show thru which lines of code it passes:
Code
string TempPath = Path.GetTempFileName();
System.IO.File.Copy(tbSource.Text, TempPath, true);
FileStream F = new FileStream(TempPath, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.ReadWrite);
Document.Open(F);
int index = Document.AddSignature();
TElPDFSignature Sig = Document.get_Signatures(index);
Sig.Handler = PublicKeyHandler;
Sig.AuthorName = tbAuthor.Text;
Sig.SigningTime = DateTime.Now.ToUniversalTime();
Sig.Reason = "";
Sig.Invisible = true;
Cert = SystemStore.get_Certificates(cbSystemCerts.SelectedIndex);
CertStorage.Clear();
CertStorage.Add(Cert, true);
PublicKeyHandler.CertStorage = CertStorage;
PublicKeyHandler.SignatureType = SBPDFSecurity.TSBPDFPublicKeySignatureType.pstPKCS7SHA1;
PublicKeyHandler.CustomName = "Adobe.PPKMS";
Document.Close(Success);
F.Close();
File.Copy(TempPath, tbDest.Text, true);
MessageBox.Show("Signing process successfully finished", "Success", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information);
File.Delete(TempPath);
this.Close()

After this document is NOT PDF/A any more and we didn't use PADES. DataLogic site shows syntax problem:
Syntax problem: Indirect object “endobj” keyword not preceded by an EOL marker

In attachment you have both documents. The document that I'm signing (PDF/A-1B), and correctly signed document, only now not PDF/A.

This should not happen, shouldn't it?

[ Download ]
Posted: 10/07/2011 05:15:42
by Dmytro Bogatskyy (EldoS Corp.)

Syntax problem: Indirect object “endobj” keyword not preceded by an EOL marker

In attachment you have both documents. The document that I'm signing (PDF/A-1B), and correctly signed document, only now not PDF/A.

What version of SecureBlackbox are you using?
As far as I remember, the similar issue was fixed in one of the last builds.
Posted: 10/07/2011 05:44:38

I am using 9.0.203.
Posted: 10/07/2011 11:52:12
by Dmytro Bogatskyy (EldoS Corp.)

I am using 9.0.203.

Please try to sign with the latest release 9.1.207
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3440 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!