EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

PDFBlackbox Paramter Sig.AuthorName, why ?

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 08/19/2011 09:55:35
by Marc Meister (Standard support level)

Hi All,

I am testing the tiny signer project, and have a question: There is a paramter called Sig.AuthorName, which I dont't understand how it works. If you use it, the pdf file gets correctly signed, with timestamping as well, but this Author name seems to be uselsess, since it does not show up anywhere in Adobe Acrobat version 9 pro.

Can you explain this paramter, or should I discard it in my software ?
Posted: 08/19/2011 10:05:02
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

AuthorName is just a "helper" identifier that is placed to and kept along with the signature. The signing party may or may not set it; it does not have any vital influence on integrity of the signature.

Please note that the signing party can put anything they want to this property. The only signer-related information that can be proved is the one contained in the signing certificate.
Posted: 05/19/2016 16:28:42
by Cilmar Thomé (Standard support level)

Hi!

I'm sorry to bring this old topic up, but a didn't fully understand the answer. The AuthorName property is not displayed by Adobe Reader, it is only retrievable programaticaly, is it so? (I use invisible signature, and can´t find the content of AuthorName anywhere in properties form of the PDF.)

Thanks!
Posted: 05/19/2016 16:57:19
by Dmytro Bogatskyy (EldoS Corp.)

Hi,

The AuthorName property is not displayed by Adobe Reader, it is only retrievable programaticaly, is it so?

The PDF standard says the following:

(Optional) The name of the person or authority signing the document. This value should be used only when it is not possible to extract the name from the signature.
EXAMPLE 1: From the certificate of the signer.
If SubFilter is ETSI.RFC3161 (PAdES signature), this entry should not be used and should be ignored by a interactive PDF processor.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1411 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!