EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

PGPReader.DecryptAndVerify: Slow?

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 10/26/2006 11:20:43
by Isaac Lenhart (Basic support level)

I'm using the .NET assembly of the SecureBlackbox PGP library. I have an unusually large PGP encrypted file (30 MB encrypted, 460 MB encrypted), which I am trying to decrypt.

I'm opening two streams and calling DecryptAndVerify() as normally described in the deocumentation, but it takes 15 minutes or so for it to successfully decrypt the file.

The only reason I bring this up is because I also have PGP Corporation's 8.1 PGP product, which decrypts the same file in 30 seconds or so on the same machine. The comparison is startling.

Are there any tips or tricks to make the DecryptAndVerify() run faster?
Posted: 10/26/2006 12:06:43
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Are you using a trial license or registered one? Trial license has speed restriction, about which you are notified in the nag screen.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/26/2006 13:06:58

Interesting. I'm using the full licensed version, using the license key provided by Eldos after purchasing the software. I just doublechecked the post-purchase email confirmation to make sure.

There is also no nag screen, although since this a .NET component being invoked in code, I'm not sure where I would see a nag screen.

Am I missing something here?
Posted: 10/26/2006 13:42:19

Also, if this helps, I've loaded up the SBUtils.Unit class and looked at the various properties once the license key I have is loaded.

The properties such as "CompanyName" and "License" have our companies' custom information in it, which it has appears to have correctly derived from the license key itself. So, I don't think it's a trial license, but I could be wrong. There is a "TrialFlags" property with various flags, but I don't know what the Flags mean.
Posted: 10/27/2006 01:39:54

I can think about one more reason -- slow output routines in PGPBlackbox. In SecureBlackbox 5 we have improved speed significantly. I will give you SBB 5 keys in HelpDesk.

If SBB 5 is still slow, we will probably need to ask you for a file and a key and try decryption on our side.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/27/2006 11:29:00

I've installed the PGP version 5.0 pre-release version with the new keys provided. This new version does indeed seem to speed things up. The decrypt now runs at 2 minutes for the file(30 MB encrypted, 460 MB encrypted), as opposed to 15 minutes previously using 4.0 version.

When will this new 5.0 version be fully released? Are there any other speed improvements that can be made?

Thanks
Posted: 10/27/2006 11:40:07

New version will be released in about a month. Regarding other improvements - nothing comes to my mind at the moment. You need to remember, that SecureBlackbox is a managed code, and operations which involve unmanaged code execution (and writing of a huge file involves many such executions) add some overhead, related to P/Invoke.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/27/2006 13:20:09

Definitely. This being such a large file, I understand there is going to be some amount of time involved, no matter what. The speed increase in v5 is definitely much better, so I appreciate the heads up.

Thanks again.
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4078 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!