EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Web ping is worse than in Plink (Putty)

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 06/06/2011 05:34:12
by Petr Munzar (Standard support level)

Hello,
We have bought your product SSHBlackbox (.Net version). It seams it has many functions and possibilities. We are using it instead Plink (Putty). But when I try some web [URL=http://www.speedtest.net/]speedtest 1[/URL] , [URL=http://speedtest.cesnet.cz/]speedtest 2[/URL]. Then it has worse ping. For example average ping of plink is 50ms and average ping of BlackBox is 75ms. Im using LocalPortForwardDemo. Is there any way to lower the ping ? Its important for our application.

Petr Munzar, programmer of Identity Cloaker (www.identitycloaker.com), Czech Republic

Petr Munzar, programmer of Identity Cloaker (www.identitycloaker.com), Czech Republic
Posted: 06/06/2011 05:47:33
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

1) Do I understand right that you run the sample on your web server and forward all HTTP requests to some internal server via SSH channel?

2) Which exactly sample are you using? There are two ones, a lower-level (SSHBlackbox\Client\LocalPortForwarding) and a simple one (SSHBlackbox\Client\SimplePortForwarding\Local). Please use the second one.

3) There will always be a gap in productivities of native and managed (.NET) code. Therefore it is unlikely that you will be able to reach the speed of Plink with .NET code. Still I think that some speed improvements can actually be done.
Posted: 06/06/2011 05:48:43

BTW, please assign the license ticket you have received in the registration letter to your Helpdesk account. This will let us provide you with the Standard support level, which is faster that the Basic one you have now.
Posted: 06/06/2011 08:10:14

1, No. I run the SecureBlackbox.NET\Samples\C#\SSHBlackbox\Client\SimplePortForwarding\Local sample on my local computer. Then we have server. Which run SSH server with ability of port forwarding. On the same sever runs proxy (squid) - although it can have diff rent IP. So I set forwarding in the sample and then I set proxy in my browser to the 127.0.0.1:8080 . This is forwarded to the remote server. And speedtest is running on my local computer.

2, Im using
SecureBlackbox.NET\Samples\C#\SSHBlackbox\Client\SimplePortForwarding\Local

3, I understand. But i would like to get better results than now.

Posted: 06/06/2011 08:12:19

Innokentiy Ivanov wrote:
BTW, please assign the license ticket you have received in the registration letter to your Helpdesk account. This will let us provide you with the Standard support level, which is faster that the Basic one you have now.

Where exactly put the ticket ? I will put it later today. The ticket has owner of the Identity Cloaker service. Im only programmer.

Posted: 06/06/2011 08:40:05

Thank you for the explanation, now the architecture of your environment is clear for me.

There are several methods to increase the productivity of the forwarding. First, try to remove all the interaction with the GUI. The sample uses the GUI greedily to reflect the actual state of all the forwarded connections. Refreshment of a visual control involves synchronization between the worker threads and the application's main thread, slowing down the process significantly. This way, please remove the handlers of OnConnectionChange, OnConnectionClose and OnConnectionOpen events (all the others can be left intact) and check if it results in speed increase.

The second thing to try is increasing the priority level of the component. Please set the Priority property to sfpHigh to apply the maximal priority.
Posted: 06/06/2011 08:40:59

The ticket can be set via the Control Center section of the web site.
Posted: 06/06/2011 09:07:02
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Also please post your licensing-related questions to Helpdesk and not to public forum.
Posted: 06/06/2011 09:28:50

I have stripped the handlers and set higgher priority. Now results are slightly better. Now arround 71 ms but plink still has 50ms :( . Maybe this is really thank to C code of the plink :(

Posted: 06/06/2011 09:48:36

It makes sense to try to optimize the productivity of SSH channel as well:
1) Enable compression (ForceCompression property),
2) Turn off slow DES and 3DES algorithms.
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 2692 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!