EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SFTP - Server Component

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 04/21/2011 16:44:54
by Jatin Patel (Basic support level)

Hi,

I am trying to set up the SFTP server component to Windows Azure worker role. Azure worker role do not depend on specific IP address. So I want to skip the IP address configuration and just using the port 22. Does it have any impact on establishing the connection/certificate?

Thanks,
Jatin

For reference:

Logger.Log("Starting SSH server listener...");
m_SocketListener = new TcpListener(IPAddress.Parse(Globals.Settings.ServerHost),
Globals.Settings.ServerPort);
//m_SocketListener = new TcpListener(Globals.Settings.ServerPort);
m_SocketListener.Start();
m_Thread.Start();
m_Event.Set();
if (Globals.main != null)
{
lock(Globals.main)
{
Globals.main.tbTop.Buttons[0].Enabled = false;
Globals.main.tbTop.Buttons[1].Enabled = true;
}
}
Globals.ServerStarted = true;
Logger.Log("SSH server listener started.");
return true;
Posted: 04/21/2011 23:42:05
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

If socket binding works and connections are accepted, then it's fine. X.509 certificates are usually issued for domain name rather than IP address, and SSH/SFTP doesn't use certificates (and SSH keys are not bound to IP).

There's a minor problem with this setup (but it's not critical): when the client connects to the host, some clients ask the user about the host key not being known as valid and offer the user to add the key to cache. After the key is added to cache, consequent connection work fine. Now if the IP is changed all the time, the user will be asked many times as well.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/22/2011 00:08:13

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for your inputs. Basically I want to use the domain name and make it work. I have downloaded the sample which is installed in my local drive at - (C:\Users\Public\Documents\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET\Samples\C#\SSHBlackbox\Server\SSHServerDemo). As I'm less aware of windows forms, can I have SFTP server component sample as console application(just simple example where I can set single username/password/port/domain name - may be hardcoded?), it would be great.

Thanks,
Jatin
Posted: 04/22/2011 00:33:19

Custom samples can be made as part of our custom services available at a separate cost.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/25/2011 18:52:37

Hi, I'm trying to deploy the SecureBlackBox.dll with 'local copy = true' option from Visual Studio to copy the dll in output directory and seems it's not working properly. Is that I'm missing something?
- Second, Will the application (SFTP Server component) work on 64-bit environment?

Thanks,
Jatin
Posted: 04/26/2011 00:13:48

Jatin Patel wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to deploy the SecureBlackBox.dll with 'local copy = true' option from Visual Studio to copy the dll in output directory and seems it's not working properly. Is that I'm missing something?

To get an adequate answer, please describe situation in details. Simply stating that "it does not work" provides very little information. For fast and efficient support we would like to ask you for the following:

1. Please specify the EldoS product name, version, platform, edition, or code package;
2. Provide name and version of the operating system, name and version of the development tool that you use;
3. If our product is used in conjunction with some other software, please specify the name and version of that software too;
4. Send us step-by-step instructions how we can reproduce the problem. It is helpful to include small test project, screenshots, test data files, etc.

Jatin Patel wrote:
- Second, Will the application (SFTP Server component) work on 64-bit environment?

Yes, it will. The components are compiled with AnyCPU target.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/26/2011 15:49:26

Hi,
I am trying to run my application integrated with the following SFTP server component dlls on Windows Azure. But not able to deploy correctly. The potential issue, I guess is not having the 64-bit support.

Here are the details.
EldoS product name - SecureBlackBox
version- 8.2.197.40688
platform - Windows Server 2008 (more specifically - Windows Azure worker role)
edition - .NET
Dlls using - SecureBlackbox.dll, SecureBlackbox.SFTP, SecureBlackbox.SFTPCommon, SecureBlackbox.SFTPServer, SecureBlackbox.SSHCommon, SecureBlackbox.SSHServer.

As Windows Azure runs on 64-bit environment, The dlls should support 64-bit support to work with Windows Azure. Are these dlls supports 64-bit environment/Windows Azure environmment?

Thanks,
Jatin
Posted: 04/26/2011 16:04:49
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Could you please provide us a little more details about the deployment issue you are facing (the exact error message at least)? As Eugene said, the DLLs have been compiled with AnyCPU target and should work on Azure platform without problems.

We have actually managed to explicitly test some of the components for the moment with Azure, and they proved to work as expected.
Posted: 04/27/2011 14:28:49

Hi,

I integrated my application with SecureBlackBox and embedded as worker role. It's running ok on Windows Azure. Then I tried to connect using FileZill SFTP client and it says "connection timed out". Is that something a limitation of evaluation copy? Find the details below:

EldoS product name - SecureBlackBox
version- 8.2.197.40688
platform - Windows Server 2008 (more specifically - Windows Azure worker role)
edition - .NET
Dlls using - SecureBlackbox.dll, SecureBlackbox.SFTP, SecureBlackbox.SFTPCommon, SecureBlackbox.SFTPServer, SecureBlackbox.SSHCommon, SecureBlackbox.SSHServer.

Thanks,
Jatin
Posted: 04/27/2011 14:45:01

1) try placing a client component to the same process (in a separate thread, for example) with the server, and see if the client can connect locally (using address 127.0.0.1, for example, or localhost)

2) try connecting to the server using Telnet tool to see if the port is opened and accessible (not blocked by firewall etc).

3) Did Filezilla start connecting? I.e. was there anything in the log besides "connection timed out"? Maybe Filezilla received something such as prompt from the server.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3597 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!