EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SFTPBlackbox client installer broken

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 03/01/2011 20:19:52
by Dave Ritchie (Standard support level)

Hello,

The installer for SFTPBlackbox ((SBB 8) SFTPBlackbox/VCL Client-only package) seems to be broken and I’m hoping you can help me install the component. The download I used to install is described as “SFTPBlackbox Client-only VCL, source code, Windows installation”.

I purchased that application this week and wanting a fresh start I uninstalled the demo version and installed the latest SFTPBlackbox that I downloaded from the Eldos web site. Unlike the demo installer for the complete suite of tools, the installer for the SFTPBlackbox component does not give you an option for what Delphi versions are supported or to integrate into the IDE. This means I have to manually install the project group (something that there are no instructions for).. Unfortunately when I open SecBBoxD14.groupproj in Delphi 2010 I get a whole bundle of errors like this:

Unable to locate project C:\.... The project reference has been removed from
the group

When I OK all of those projects not being in the project group I’m left eventually with just 4 projects.

BaseBBoxD14
SSHBBoxCliD14
SFTPBBoxCliD14
PGPSSHBBoxCliD14

When I attempt to compile these I get an error: [DCC Fatal Error] PGPSSHBBoxD14.dpk(32): E2202 Required package 'PGPBBoxD14' not found.
If at this point I attempt to install SFTPBlackboxCliD14.bpl I get an error:

The procedure entry point @sbsshcommon@sshdecodestring$qqrx ... cannot be
loaded into the dynamic link library SSHBBoxCliD14.bpl

Can you please provide a fixed installer or instruct how I can fix this project group to compile. For now I’ve re-installed the demo and are using that to continue my work but ideally I’d like just the component I paid for and use installed, not the demo.
Posted: 03/02/2011 00:55:21
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

There's no error here. The project group is the same for all packages and the documentation warns about this. You just skip the packages that you don't have.

The reason is simple - there can be a huge number of combinations of packages on the user side cause many people purchase several individual packages. And not providing the project group makes some users confused regarding what to compile.

PGPSSH, while is present, won't be compiled with your license as you don't have PGP package. The package is included for those customers, who purchase SSH or SFTP and PGP.

Now about compilation errors. It seems that you have pre-compiled version left on your computer. The precompiled version installs a copy of BPL packages into \Windows\System32 directory. Most likely they interfere with compilation process. Please search for *BBox*.* in Windows folder and subfolders and delete the found modules.

Also check the same in <SecureBlackbox>\Packages folder

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/02/2011 01:58:32

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the fast response. I've done what you suggested and now I can compile and install the first 3 packages. PGPSSHBoxD14 still gives an error but I'll ignore that as it seems that I don't need that project.

"[DCC Fatal Error] PGPSSHBBoxD14.dpk(32): E2202 Required package 'PGPBBoxD14' not found"

As an aside, after reading in your post that there was some installation documentation I eventually found the text I think you're referring to in the help CHM. Just so you know, the installer I used does *not* install the help CHM and I only know this exists because I had reinstalled the demo version. This means that people in my situation have no documentation at all. This should be addressed.

Also, the fact that the demo installer registers the packages in Delphi but the other installers don't is both confusing and inconvenient.

I hope you can revisit the installation process at some point. The installers by DevExpress and Jedi are good examples of the right way to install multiple components and component sets in a unified installer without the user having to manually organize packages (which is terribly confusing when you don't know what any of them do). It seems it would have taken longer to write a confusing 22 page description of the installation process in the CHM than it would have taken to write a decent installer. Not trying to be rude, great product etc just IMO needs some polish to make things easier for new customers.
Posted: 03/02/2011 02:17:31

Dave Ritchie wrote:
PGPSSHBoxD14 still gives an error but I'll ignore that as it seems that I don't need that project.

Yes it does - as I've mentioned above, it won't be compiled cause you don't have OpenPGPBlackbox

Dave Ritchie wrote:
Just so you know, the installer I used does *not* install the help CHM and I only know this exists because I had reinstalled the demo version. This means that people in my situation have no documentation at all. This should be addressed.

Good point, thank you. we will add a separate installation instruction into source code installer.

Dave Ritchie wrote:
The installers by DevExpress and Jedi are good examples of the right way to install multiple components and component sets in a unified installer without the user having to manually organize packages (which is terribly confusing when you don't know what any of them do). It seems it would have taken longer to write a confusing 22 page description of the installation process in the CHM than it would have taken to write a decent installer.

Please continue ... What would such installer do or what would you expect it to do?

A side note: source code installation is a *supplementary* thing. The main shipping unit is a precompiled package (ready to use object files) + license key. When you go that route (most users do this), you don't deal with source code at all. You can additionally install the source code package. But *compilation* of source files to get everything running is not necessary.

However, all of the above is not obvious from user's point of view so it should be described somewhere besides the help file.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/09/2011 22:28:52

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the great reply. For the installer I'm sure you don't want me to harp on about that.. but you asked so if it were me I'd do it like this:

Page 1: Select a bundle. Checkboxes for specific bundles.
Page 2: Select packages. Having chosen a bundle this will pre-populate the package selection and allow the user to select additional. If multiple bundles use the same package this should be dealt with nicely.
Page 3: Validate. Enter your license key to authenticate the selected packages.
Page 4: Integrate. Select versions of Delphi to integrate with. Perhaps option whether to add the source path to the lib.
Page 5: Confirm + Launch.

The Jedi installer I mentioned is a reasonable example of how this can be achieved when the source is already downloaded. The DevExpress installer is a good demo of content that is downloaded based on the user request. Both have advantages and disadvantages but either would work.

So busy had better get back to work :p

PS We've put the SFTP component into our production systems now and it hasn't missed a beat - great product.

Regards,
Monitor WA
Posted: 03/14/2011 01:33:11

Thank you for suggestions. I think web-based installer indeed doable, but after SecureBlackbox 9 release. We plan to upgrade My Control Center, and when we do this, we will add support for downloadable files there.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1282 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!