EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Silverlight 4.0 missing assembly

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 10/18/2010 09:15:08
by John Daintree (Priority Standard support level)

Hello all,

I'm accessing SecureBlackbox as a means of providing an SSL layer to a silverlight 4.0 application. As a starting point I thought I'd take the samples

\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET\Samples\C#\SSLBlackbox\Server\SSLSocketDemo\Server\Server_VS2010.sln

and

\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET\Samples\C#\SSLBlackbox\Server\SSLSocketDemo\Client\Client_VS2010.sln

and convert the client side to a silverlight application.

However, I can't seem to find the SL4.0 version of SecureBlackbox.SSLSocket.dll, which is needed for the ElClientSSLSocket class and others.
There's no such file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET\Assemblies\SILVERLIGHT_40".

Where should I be looking, or is this stuff in a different file for SL4.0?

Many thanks,
John
Posted: 10/18/2010 09:43:56
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Such assembly was not created because Silverlight socket class is very limited (we had to invent several tricks to emulate even those limited functionality of Socket class that we use internally), and it's not possible to build SSLSocket class on top of Silverlight Socket class.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/25/2010 07:50:39

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Such assembly was not created because Silverlight socket class is very limited (we had to invent several tricks to emulate even those limited functionality of Socket class that we use internally), and it's not possible to build SSLSocket class on top of Silverlight Socket class.

Has something changed then since http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3221588/silverlight-tls-ssl or is that TLS specific and there significant implementation differences between SSL and TLS? I'm happy to be restricted on the Silverlight ports (we control both ends) as long as I can make a secure connection.
Posted: 10/25/2010 08:34:16

Actually, nothing prevents you from using TElSimpleSSLClient on Silverlight side and using ElServerSSLSocket on the server. There's just SSLSocket class which is not available in Silverlight, other classes work as usually (FTP works only in passive mode for obvious reasons).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/25/2010 09:03:02

Ah, Thanks Eugene, I'll take a look at that and the .Net sample. Do you have a Silverlight sample anywhere?

Thanks again,
John.
Posted: 10/25/2010 09:45:19

There are no silverlight samples available because use of the components in silverlight doesn't differ from regular desktop use at all. We have several customers that use different socket-based components in Silverlight and there were no problems/questions asked (other than general support questions).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2458 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!