EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Request Body Compression For POST/PUT

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 10/05/2010 09:27:26
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Compression of responses is great, but in our environment we often need to POST or PUT large amounts of data to the server. Currently we're looking into compressing this data ourselves, because although it's unorthodox, we're only talking to our own server and we know we can handle it. It would be nice if SecureBlackBox could do this for us.
If you like the idea, vote for it on https://www.eldos.com/sbb/wishlist.php

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/05/2010 09:28:08
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Is compression method described in any standard?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/13/2010 09:54:31
by Michael Simpson (Standard support level)

It's not in any standard that I know of, given that the client normally doesn't know ahead of time what the server will support. Based on that I would totally understand not implementing a feature like this, and even if you did, there would have to be some thinking about what the desired behavior should be. But hey, this is a wish list :-)
Posted: 10/16/2010 17:38:41
by Charles DeWeese (Standard support level)

This is a great idea, In fact I already do this in my own code when submitting data to my own server.

However I have notice that sometimes the server is unable to decompress the data, because I have a rather large userbase for this application its very difficult to determine the exact cause, but I suspect that the data is mangled by a proxy server.

The way I do this is to use zlib to compress the data and then base64 encode it, I thought by using base64 I could insure the best compatibility with proxy servers but perhaps this isn't enough?

Then on the server side I use php to decode base64 and uncompress.

Like I said this works 99% of the time but there is a small percentage of POSTS that fail decompression.

I would welcome any feedback on my method.

Topic viewed 962 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!