EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Intergrating Blackbox SSL into existing application

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 09/09/2010 03:54:59
by Adam Shaw (Priority Standard support level)

Hi,

I'am currently trying to implement the Blackbox SSL solution into our existing application, this app currently uses Microsofts .NET SSLStream implementation for secure tcp/ip.

The way it does this is to create a listening .Net Socket and when the EndAccept completes we wrap the new socket in an SSLStream, load the Certificate and call the AuthenticateAsServer method, then call BeginReceive.

I have replaced the SSLStream with ElServerSSLSocket like this..

elServerSSLSocket = new ElServerSSLSocket();
elServerSSLSocket.Socket = this.socket;
elServerSSLSocket.OnCertificateValidate += new SSLCommon.TSBCertificateValidateEvent(ValidateServerCertificate);

TElMemoryCertStorage certStore = new TElMemoryCertStorage();
certStore.Add(this.certificate, false);
elServerSSLSocket.CertStorage = certStore;
elServerSSLSocket.OpenSSLSession();

However the OpenSSLSession call just blocks.

Is this the correct sequence or am I missing something?

The client side is using the Mentalis SSL implementation. I have used your example apps as a proof of concept that we can do this and it works correctly.
Posted: 09/09/2010 12:21:49
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

If the sample works, then the problem is in your code, that's clear. The question is what is wrong in the code. Try handing OnError and see whether any error is reported.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/10/2010 02:27:26

I have created a very basic client/server both using BlackBox SSL following roughly what our application does. However I still get the same issue the program blocks on the OpenSSLSession method. I must be missing a step.

Any ideas?

SERVER CODE

namespace ServerSSL
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
SBUtils.Unit.SetLicenseKey("REMOVED");
ServerSSL serverSSL = new ServerSSL("TARS-ASHA-01", 1234);
}

}

public class ServerSSL
{
private string host;
private int port;
private Socket socket;
private IPEndPoint ipEndpoint;

public ServerSSL(string host, int port)
{
this.host = host;
this.port = port;

socket = new Socket(AddressFamily.InterNetwork, System.Net.Sockets.SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp);
ipEndpoint = new IPEndPoint(System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(host).AddressList[0], this.port);
socket.Bind(ipEndpoint);
socket.Listen(10);
Socket clSocket = socket.Accept();

TElX509Certificate cetificate = GetCertificateDetails();

ElServerSSLSocket elServerSSLSocket = new ElServerSSLSocket(clSocket);

certStore.Add(cetificate, false);
elServerSSLSocket.CertStorage = certStore;

elServerSSLSocket.OnCertificateValidate += new SBSSLCommon.TSBCertificateValidateEvent(elServerSSLSocket_OnCertificateValidate);
elServerSSLSocket.OnError += new SBSSLCommon.TSBErrorEvent(elServerSSLSocket_OnError);
elServerSSLSocket.OpenSSLSession();

}

void elServerSSLSocket_OnError(object Sender, int ErrorCode, bool Fatal, bool Remote)
{
throw new NotImplementedException();
}

void elServerSSLSocket_OnCertificateValidate(object Sender, TElX509Certificate X509Certificate, ref bool Validate)
{
throw new NotImplementedException();
}

private TElX509Certificate GetCertificateDetails()
{
TElX509Certificate certificate = new TElX509Certificate();
certificate.LoadFromFileAuto(@"C:\Appserver\AppSettings\Configuration\Certificates\Trax.pfx", "password");

return certificate;
}
}
}

CLIENT CODE

namespace ClientSSL
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
SBUtils.Unit.SetLicenseKey("REMOVED");

ElClientSSLSocket elClientSSLSocket = new ElClientSSLSocket();
elClientSSLSocket.SSLEnabled = true;
Socket socket = new Socket(AddressFamily.InterNetwork, System.Net.Sockets.SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp);
IPEndPoint ipEndpoint = new IPEndPoint(System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry("TARS-ASHA-01").AddressList[0], 1234);

TElX509Certificate certificate = new TElX509Certificate();
certificate.LoadFromFileAuto(@"C:\Appserver\AppSettings\Configuration\Certificates\Trax.pfx", "password");

elClientSSLSocket.Socket = socket;
certStore.Add(certificate, false);
elClientSSLSocket.CertStorage = certStore;

elClientSSLSocket.Connect(ipEndpoint);

}
}
}
Posted: 09/13/2010 00:27:14
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

You should use ElServerSSLSocket object for listening purposes as well as for connection purposes (i.e., it's ElServerSSLSocket object whose Bind()/Listen()/Accept() methods are to be called). Please use the server sample as a guide on creating a "native" listening socket and binding it to ElServerSSLSocket (see buttonStart_Click() event handler).
Posted: 09/13/2010 09:17:29

Yes, I sort of understood that I had to use the Bind/List/Accept on ElServerSSLSocket.

However our current SSL implementation uses SSLStream which allows you to pass in a connect socket and then initiate the SSL handshake.

Our current design has to allow for both server and client sockets through the same code.

The problem we currently have is that ESSLServer's EndAccept method returns a type of ESSLServer which I have implemented like this

ElSSLSocket newSocket = socket.EndAccept(ar);

var bp = SocketFactory.CreateBufferProcessoritsConfiguration.BufferProcessor);

return new ClientSslSocket((ElClientSSLSocket)newSocket, bp, socketSecurity.Certificate);

However our ClientSslSocket class would then need to call OpenSSLSession however this is only available on the ElSSlServer class not ElSSlClient.

Also our ClientSslSocket class needs to call BeginConnect as it is used both as a server and a client.

Is there no way to use and established .Net socket connection and enable SSL?
Posted: 09/13/2010 11:21:28

Thank you for the explanation.

There is no way to attach SSL sockets to the already connected native transport socket out-of-the-box. I will check whether we could extend our implementation with this functionality for you.
Posted: 09/13/2010 13:53:21

I think that we will extend the components with the feature you described. This will take a few days.
Posted: 09/16/2010 01:32:38

Thank you very much, this change would be very helpful to us. Do you have an estimate of when you are likely to release this change to help us set the businesses expectations?
Posted: 09/16/2010 08:42:45

I suppose that we will provide the updated components to you tomorrow.
Posted: 09/17/2010 08:51:56

I have created a Helpdesk ticket for you and posted the updated components there.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3025 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!