EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Strange rx behavior

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 05/06/2010 07:27:23
by neil young (Standard support level)

Hi again,

Server A: The SBB Stack is driven in TLS mode.

Client B: In order to provoke some erroneous condx I'm sending non TLS packets from the client using the same SBB stack, but client.enabled = false

Client opens the socket connection and starts the initial sequence. Server is receiving raw socket data and calls DataAvailable. I'm immediately getting a OnReceive callback, requesting 2 bytes (which are written). The next and all subsequent callbacks OnReceive have a MaxSize of 0, which did hang in my realisation until now, because I wasn't prepared to get a callback of 0 bytes.

I can fix this, but why do I'm getting a 0 byte request?

Posted: 05/06/2010 08:19:43
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

That is how it works. The server obtains packet length from first two bytes received. If this length is 0, 0 bytes are requested with the subsequent OnReceive call.

I agree that this behavior is a bit non-obvious. We will improve the behavior of the components to make them return errors in such cases.
Posted: 05/06/2010 09:30:38

Length is in the first two bytes? Is this TLS standard?
Posted: 05/06/2010 09:41:27
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

It is defined by SSL2 standard. All SSL2+SSL3+TLS1-compliant clients must use SSL2 client hello for backward compatibility reasons.
Posted: 05/06/2010 11:09:37

Ah, yes. Now when you say this I remember to have seen the "Client Hello" in some traces :)

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Topic viewed 684 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!